QT for Livebearers--add treatment for Camallanus?

KaitieG

I'm planning on stocking a new 95 gallon with mostly livebearers and bottom dwellers.  I've heard lots of places now that livebearers are notorious for having callamanus worms, and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and add a treatment for those when I quarantine my new livebearer additions? 

I currently have several guppies who will be going in--they're getting treated using general cure/paracleanse before they head into the new tank since I've seen some white, stringy poo.  I've never (2 years) seen any evidence of callamanus in them.  I'm planning on bringing in some platys and maybe a couple mollies to add to the mix (and if I see some cool guppies, who knows, they may come in too). 

How likely are they to bring in issues (mainly callamanus) that the QT trio wouldn't catch? 

Knowing these worms are a fairly common issue with livebearers, does it make sense to just go ahead and treat? 

If I do treat for callamanus on the new fish, should I do it before or after the other meds?

I certainly wouldn’t fault you for doing it. Those are nasty. Levamisole could be argued to be doing the same job as the general cure used to in the trio.

Cammalanus won’t kill anything immediately, so if you can keep proper bio isolation from your other tanks (separate nets and water change gear, do them last, wash extensively after working in it) I’d use the other meds first. Give them a couple of weeks rest to feed up and recover, then the levamisole.

From what I just googled and read for a few seconds (not in depth research, so if others have a different experience, I'd love to know!) it looks like Paraguard/General Cure knock out tape worms, but Lavamisol only does round worms/nematodes.  So I'd need to do both wormer meds, I think, right?

Edited by KaitieG

I haven’t seen any testing, but I wouldn’t treat those at the same time. When I use Paracleanse for issues I do a round, rest two weeks, and do another. I would do that, and then rest two weeks before any other meds if you think you should. The trio has been tested to be used together, but I haven’t heard of success including anything else with them. 

The trio was designed to knock out most common diseases. I know the Co-op has been testing levamisole, but they haven’t determined anything that they are willing to share yet. 

4 minutes ago, Mitch Norton said:

I haven’t seen any testing, but I wouldn’t treat those at the same time. When I use Paracleanse for issues I do a round, rest two weeks, and do another. I would do that, and then rest two weeks before any other meds if you think you should. The trio has been tested to be used together, but I haven’t heard of success including anything else with them. 

The trio was designed to knock out most common diseases. I know the Co-op has been testing levamisole, but they haven’t determined anything that they are willing to share yet. 

Thanks--I did mean to treat them SEPARATELY but that there would need to be 2 different products to treat the different types of parasites--

-Paraguard/General Cure only does tapeworm/flat worms/flukes

-Lavamisol only does round worms like Camallanus

Sorry I didn't make that clear--I wasn't trying to make a quarantine "quad"  just wondering if I should add a separate round for Camallanus since livebearers are notorious for having it and wondering what end of the QT to add it in (beginning or end, AFTER the other meds including 2-3 rounds of ParaCleanse)

Edited by KaitieG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KaitieG said:

Thanks--I did mean to treat them SEPARATELY but that there would need to be 2 different products to treat the different types of parasites--

Sorry I didn't make that clear--I wasn't trying to make a quarantine "quad"  just wondering if I should add a separate round for Camallanus since livebearers are notorious for having it and wondering what end of the QT to add it in (beginning or end, AFTER the other meds including 2-3 rounds of ParaCleanse)

I would do this just as you say. I have decided to retroactively treat ALL my tanks recently after becoming suspicious (the educated, seeing symptoms kind, not the paranoid, eeww worms! kind). I would have spent less treating on the way in. Internally, my tank isolation is abysmal, due to sharing equipment around, so everybody is getting dosed. 

4 hours ago, KaitieG said:

Certainly wouldn’t hurt to do them both. The nice part about a clean population is that if it stays a closed population, you only have to do this once.

• 2 weeks later...

This is kinda old, I know, but it's exactly the conversation I was looking for. Just got my first mollies and they're in the quarantine tank with a bit of salt. I ordered levamisole from Select Aquatics and it came super fast, from CO to OH in just a couple of days. If anyone knows about mixing that and/or the trio with aquarium salt, that's my next rabbit hole to go down...

I've decided to add levamisole for livebearers from the fish store.  I'm still debating about the trio I got from a local breeder with the cory cats. 

They're all going through the med trio right now.  Then I'll do a 2nd round of paracleanse.  I just haven't decided what the risk level is like with the camallanus worms when it's coming from an individual's fishroom rather than a wholesaler/store.  I know he's been breeding this strain from his own stock for 5 years...and I normally wouldn't treat the corys, but if they're in the same QT tank, wouldn't they have been exposed to it too if the guppies have it?  Sigh.

Yeah, if he's had a closed fish room they probably didn't come with parasites, but I'd treat everyone if they've been exposed to the others you plan to treat. Not sure of your situation but for me, I'd rather treat the 10 gallon qt tank and leave them in qt longer versus having to treat the bigger tanks that mine will be going into post-quarantine.