Future power outages

Lynn

I have a couple of beefy APC UPS backup units that supplied power during a recent power outage. The result was they didn't last very long. So I can only tell you what didn't work, or that they worked, but given the expense of each unit, they were definitely not the way to go.

I only have a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon and got a battery pack air pump that can run the sponge filters in both tanks.  I'm considering a UPS for the new larger tank (thinking it could also run our internet since I work from home), but probably will hold off getting one.  We don't have tons of outages, and they're almost always back up and going within a couple hours, even at night, and I double checked with my husband and he promised that he'd bring a tractor-run generator up if we have any longer outage, so I guess you could say that right now my backup is a farmer-husband.

• Haha 1

What size tanks do you have?   What part of the world are you in?  

Here on the coast of NC our winter's are fairly mild (most Decembers I am still in short sleeve shorts) but our Spring, Summer, and Fall may be filled with tropical storms.  Because of these storms and hurricanes, I made the decision a while back to move everything to usb air pumped filtration.  In each of my tanks I have either an aquarium co op sponge filter or ziss filter; with an exception of one in which I have a box filter.  What I do when the storms knock out power is connect a power bank to the usb air pumps and that typically last anywhere between 3 - 7 days with the ones I have.  I don't worry about my plants because typically they will do fine with ambient lighting until power turns back on. 

Here is the USB air pump you can get with from aquarium co op.  Their air pump is a little bit more than some of the ones on Amazon, but in my personal opinion its of a better quality:
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/usb-nano-air-pump?_pos=1&_sid=fcb61b46e&_ss=r

I would recommend a minimum of a 20,000 mAh power bank, though 30,000 - 50,000 being more ideal.  I have something like this with the solar option, however, mine is very slow to charge via solar.
https://www.amazon.com/20000mAh-YOESOID-Portable-Waterproof-Compatible/dp/B08PD24TQB/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=power+bank&qid=1610307263&sr=8-21

Edited by Ben_RF

Also remember your tank will be ok not to run filtration for a bit, the big thing you want is to make sure it is getting oxygen.  Also if you have fish that have to be certain temperatures, then that might be a big issue too.  Also some fish are ok to have temperature dips or the power goes out when the temperature is not an issue.   For example when the power goes out here during hurricanes typically we are in the 80'f - 100'f with a motherlode of humidity.  Because of the high temperatures, I absolutely do not worry about my fish getting cold.

I live in Wisconsin.    Ice storms are the main worry,  I remember power being off for three days from an ice storm.     Heat can be a issue,   But I just want to be prepared for ice storm damage.     Thanks for all of the information, I have a 75 gal, 29 gal, 15gal,  and 3 gal.

2 hours ago, Lynn said:

I live in Wisconsin.    Ice storms are the main worry,  I remember power being off for three days from an ice storm.     Heat can be a issue,   But I just want to be prepared for ice storm damage.     Thanks for all of the information, I have a 75 gal, 29 gal, 15gal,  and 3 gal.

I'm from Wisconsin too--winters are definitely not mild here!  Have any farmer neighbors?  Actually, to be serious, you can find small-ish generators on farm auction listings pretty frequently and they can then do most of your house, including heat 🙂  Might be something to look for online.  My husband usually checks out Hansen and Gavin Bros for auctions most frequently here in WI.

• 2 weeks later...