Gill disease in endler - questions while treating with maracyn

SWilson

My lil boy endler has something going on with his gills. They’re bright red and there’s red in his underside too. It almost looks like they’re bleeding. 
I don’t think it’s ammonia burn because I’ve been testing daily since I got him and two females on Sunday night - and ammonia is zero, nitrites 0, nitrates 10-20. Ph is 6.8-7.2. Temp is 72. Also the two females and two surprise fry seem unaffected. I’m keeping a close eye on them though. 

i found him this morning hiding under the sponge filter base, almost kinda rubbing his belly against the substrate, I knew something was wrong. 

i threw together a 10 gal qt tub (thank you so much Irene!) and decided to start treating with maracyn after some quick internet research.  The qt tub is the same temp as the main tank and has a seeded sponge filter and heater. 
in the qt tank, even though there are hiding spots he’s out, swimming erratically/glass surfing often. I don’t see him shimmying or clamped fins. 
(Sorry for all the description, I can’t get a good picture of him, he’s so small and fast). 

a few questions about treatment:

- should/can I treat simultaneously with salt? 
-should/can I treat simultaneously with paracleanse in case it’s gill flukes? Or should I run the full maracyn treatment, and then try paracleanse if it’s not better? 
-I know you don’t feed during the quarantine trio, is that true also of the maracyn treatment? Should I withhold food until at least day 4?
With one tiny endler in a 10 gal, would feeding still lead to an ammonia spike? 
- hoping he gets through this, how soon after symptoms are resolved can he return to the main tank?

i don’t know how y’all do this! I am beside myself with worry! 😥

DB2EF342-4F2F-4247-BAE6-FB023389DACA.jpeg

Edited by SWilson

with a seeded sponge in the tank, you have some bacteria going, so i would feed very lightly. crumble up 1 flake or a similar portion of what you normally feed once a day. fish can go quite some time on little to no food, so very light feeding should not cause further harm or stress to the fish. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Colu said:

I would treat for gill flukes with paracleanse and aquarium salt 1table spoon for 3gallons 

Thank you so much @Colu
I don’t mean to bug you with a follow up question but maybe this will help someone else in the future - would you stop the maracyn and switch to paracleanse or finish out the maracyn and add the paracleanse on top of that?

I know from the quarantine trio method that maracyn and paracleanse can be used together but I’m a bit nervous about doing both at the full dose. I know erythromycin can be used with praziquantel, but I’m not sure about metronidazole. It seems there might be some instances of cardiac stress in humans with metronidazole and erythromycin interactions  

ddc-opengraph-logomark.png
WWW.DRUGS.COM

A Minor Drug Interaction exists between erythromycin and metronidazole. View detailed...

I’m just on day two of maracyn, maybe I just let him marinate in that and switch over to the paracleanse. But on the other hand generally it’s not a good idea to underdose antibiotics, so I’m not sure. 

Just wanted to say thank you again. After 3 days of the maracyn and 2 days of the paracleanse, he looks better and the redness in his gills has significantly lessened. He’s eating (I’ve only fed a very small amount every other day) and still actively swimming, and there hasn’t been any ammonia in the tank. I’m gonna keep him in quarantine for a while longer and redone the paracleanse in 2-3 weeks. 
the ladies don’t seem to miss him one bit. 😆

• Like 1