Any tips for preparing hardwood for tanks?

Sunny Doan

2 minutes ago, Sunny Doan said:

Currently working on trying to get pressure washer. And some rocks to sink it! I remember trying to sink my first piece of wood and it AGGRESSIVELY jumped out of the water and smacked me back. 

That's what happened to me! It shot out and hit me in the face, I'm actually amazed it didn't give me a black eye! It went straight up end first.

• Haha 1

I am returning to the hobby and trying aquascaping- hilarity ensues.  My purchased driftwood floats and rolls- crazy glue is more on me than the pieces i glued together-  resorted to zip ties and a large rock to weigh it down.  All of the carefully tweezers plants were uprooted with the rolling logs- any tips on soaking driftwood?

12 minutes ago, DiTi said:

any tips on soaking driftwood?

If the pieces are relatively small put them in a large pot and boil them for hours. I do suggest getting a pot specifically for doing this, something cheap from thrift shop maybe. It can ruin a pot. I’ve used this process for most of my bog wood, and even the larger pieces that still floated after boiling would sink by the next day. 

thank you- I will try that  if that doesn't work I am not above the stick on a rock artfully placed and sold in the aquarium store-a bit pricey but am feeling every bit of 73 and father time be a hastening my way I'm afeared.  

23 minutes ago, DiTi said:

I will try that  if that doesn't work I am not above the stick on a rock artfully placed and sold in the aquarium store-a bit pricey but am feeling every bit of 73 and father time be a hastening my way I'm afeared.

Depending on what your looking to do, or what look you want. You might be able to get some rocks from a local landscaping supplier and save a decent amount of money on those. Please get some larger ones if wanted. The ones from the landscaping supplier require more cleaning though, they’re usually pretty dirty. 

Also, @lefty o previously mentioned fastening slate tiles to the drift wood. That is a great option if you don’t want to wait on setting the tank up.

I’m sure it’s still limited depending on the size of the wood though. Those big pieces can be persistent with wanting to float. 

Edited by FishyThoughts
Typo

I keep all my driftwood outside on our second floor balcony area. Make sure it doesn’t get pesticides sprayed on it. Leaving driftwood outside for years ages the wood really nicely and also removes tannins if you let it get rained on. My driftwood pile gets all four Seasons 😅 Oh and I don’t wash or brush it before putting it in the tank. 

13 hours ago, DiTi said:

any tips on soaking driftwood?

I drilled a few small holes in mine with the thought that it would provide some channels for the water to get in and the air to get out. Not sure if it helped though. I have driftwood in my 55 gal that’s still buoyant after 13 months under water. 😆 Though it’s definitely getting less buoyant over time!

I anchored mine in three places using large suction cups that I tied to the log using fishing line. Initially they were suctioned under the gravel but then they came off and that was a mess. So now they’re suctioned to the side of the tank. Not as secure as using slate but definitely easier to move if you need to!

Just now, Hobbit said:

I drilled a few small holes in mine with the thought that it would provide some channels for the water to get in and the air to get out. Not sure if it helped though. I have driftwood in my 55 gal that’s still buoyant after 13 months under water. 😆 Though it’s definitely getting less buoyant over time!

I anchored mine in three places using large suction cups that I tied to the log using fishing line. Initially they were suctioned under the gravel but then they came off and that was a mess. So now they’re suctioned to the side of the tank. Not as secure as using slate but definitely easier to move if you need to!

Definitely going to be using slate rock to weigh down this gigantic wood piece

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DiTi said:

I am boiling as we speak-  hoping it will help.  The pieces do not fit so boiling them half and half-  I will post if I have luck.

That’s how many of mine were done. And it still takes a long time at boiling, I would boil my pieces for 6+ hours and still sometimes have a little buoyancy. But so far finished sinking in a day or two.