90 gallon lighting

KaitieG

Okay...I've found a good deal on a 90 gallon tank, which is what I've been looking for for our dining room.  It seems to be a less popular size, but it's the same footprint as a 75 and gives me about 20% more water. If I'm overlooking a big downside here, please feel free to speak up!  I've only done a 20 and a 10 up to this point. 

Anyone have 90 gallon planted tank lighting suggestions?  Budget ones?  Dream scenario ones?  I'm looking to grow mainly easy plants--anubias, java fern, some crypts and val hopefully, water sprite, hopefully something floating.  Nothing that needs CO2.

I did check out the Coop lighting guide, but I'm a little confused there:

For 75 gallon Low/Med Light it suggests 2 Fluval 3.0 48 inch lights and Med/High 4 Fluvals 

For 90 gallon (4 inches taller than 75) Low light it suggests 1 Fluval 3.0  and for Med/High it suggests 4 Fluvals (4 are not going to happen budget wise, but I don't think I need high lighting anyway.) 

I think I'm looking for the low end of Medium--kind of wondering about starting with 1 Fluval and a second budget one like a Nicrew or whatever is coming with the tank.  I'd love to hear your take on this plan and what you'd set up for your tank in a similar situation!  

Thanks--I've looked at those picks as well, and they seem like a decent option.  I have the Nicrews on 2 smaller tanks and they run well and stay in place just fine.  Mine are pretty new, so I'm not sure how well they'll last, but they're definitely a more affordable option.  I guess I'm trying to balance whether to start with ONE of "the best" or maybe a couple of the affordable option.  And what's the better choice in the long run (balanced by what can I buy without my husband freaking out 🙂)

Hi Kaitie,

As to any possible downsides, I have 2:

1) The taller height may make it tough to service the bottom, especially if you are constantly moving things around. You will be up to your armpit in water. I currently have a 75 running (and a 125 not yet running), and I couldn't picture having anything significantly taller.

2) (This may not apply). I went to my 75 from a 40 Long. thinking I wanted something larger. Both are 4 foot tanks. The 75 didn't have as much visual impact as I expected. Deep down, I knew I wanted a 6 foot tank, but convinced myself the 75 would fit the bill. It didn't, thus the empty 125 sitting next to it, awaiting it's anticipated call to action. It will happen soon, but I am dreading the work involved with "the switch."

Just my .02.....your mileage may vary. Good luck!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, quikv6 said:

Hi Kaitie,

As to any possible downsides, I have 2:

1) The taller height may make it tough to service the bottom, especially if you are constantly moving things around. You will be up to your armpit in water.

2)  Deep down, I knew I wanted a 6 foot tank, but convinced myself the 75 would fit the bill. 

Just my .02.....your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Thanks--those are good considerations and are things I've thought about.  

1) I am moderately tall, though I don't have crazy long gorilla arms or anything like that.  Might need to invest in some tank tops for tank maintenance--hey, maybe that's where tank tops get their name 😛  .  Overall I prefer the visual proportions of a 90 gallon over a 55/75 because of the extra height, but I am aware that it will make maintenance …wetter.  Good consideration though certainly--I even pulled out a tape measure right now to double check what I'm looking at for height and I think we're okay there.

2) I could see doing a 125, but I don't think I have any 6 foot walls in my house that don't have a window or door--the wall where the tank needs to go is only 4'3", so I think a 6 footer is out.  The house is big, but it's old and whoever built it really had a thing for doors!  Our kitchen has 7 of them!

I had good luck with the Hyper Tough 4' (5000 ln) LED Shop Light on my 80 gallon tank and plan to put 2 on my 90 gallon once I get it set-up in the next couple weeks. They run under $20 each and the light color was great for growing the crypts, val, dwarf sag, and anubias I had in the tank. It also grew my duckweed really well too but thats more of a personal problem. Should do great on your 90!

3486cc9c-895d-45be-b4f0-5f6a7d9ce005.ee8
WWW.WALMART.COM

Free 2-day shipping on qualified orders over $35. Buy Hyper Tough 4Ft 5000 lm LED Shop Light (1Pack) at Walmart.com

• Thanks 1