60 gallon, running 1 marineland 450 filter, AQ. Co-op air stone and filter ( thank you )

Tiggerinc55

I am interested in an actual fish count with Shrimp or Corey Doras as cleaners. Like stated in subj. I think cleaning shall be good of water and I only now have 1 calm angel in tank. I will be doing a water tank change when I change from current filter 70 gallon marineland  to emp. 450120G, But it seems like when I cycle tank 10 days+ and test water @ local store they say fine, but almost all new fish perish. Had one tiger tetra survive out of 6, so what am I doing wrong? I would like to add some Corey Doras and others but, paying 50.00 for shipping is a lost cause if my tank is toxic. I don not trust local stores and the ONLY Aq. store near me has only one level to keep fish in and they only carry 60-80 fresh water fish. No thanks. Any help is appreciated before I give up on entire hobby! 

You mention cycling your tank for "10 days+". Is this a new tank?

1 - Where have you been getting your fish? LFS? Online? All same place or different places? If one place, is it possible your source isn't selling healthy fish? I've been there, done that. When I changed from one store to another, WAY less new fish deaths.

2 - Are you properly acclimating the new fish when you get them home? Whether you quarantine or not, fish need to be acclimated for the best possible chance of survival. Assuming your water quality truly is fine, the fact remains that it'll be different from the water the fish have been in and are accustomed to, to some degree. Properly acclimating allows them to adjust to your water. It's not a guarantee, but it at least increases chance of survival as it results in less stress on the fish.

3 - Remote possibility, but is your angel killing the fish? In the past when I had angels, most of mine were fine in a community setting, but I did have a one that was aggressive with other fish even though it seemed perfectly calm most of the time.

Hopefully others can spitball other ideas, and we can help you figure out what's happening.

• Like 1

the poster above hits on good questions, especially the "is this a new tank?". if it is a new tank, it needs to be cycled, or given a kick start with something from an established tank or a product like fritzyme that will give it a good dose of beneficial bacteria to get it going properly.