Betta Hendra

William

I am planning on getting a pair of betta hendra I was wondering what minimum recommended tank size would be good for a planted species only tank? For me it is hard to decipher because the minimum tank size is all over the place. Some like the IBC say 2.5 gallons while others say 10 to 20 gallons. 

I haven't kept any Hendra but they're on my bucket list. I've read that they can get really reclusive in large tanks, I don't know how true that is but any time I've kept a betta of any kind in anything bigger than a 20 long I always wished I'd done a 10 to 20 gallon instead.

I wouldn't do a 2.5... I think maybe a 10 for a pair and go from there. A 5 might be fine but I'd worry about an aggressive male, especially if they breed, and a 10 will be easier to keep stable than a 5 anyway. A 20 long I think would be great if your goal is a colony of them.

I think they're part of the Coccina complex, so if you're having a hard time finding info on Hendra then maybe information on Coccina might be helpful too.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

the female is has some of the color but is not as pronounced. if you want to get a pair try Blackwater Aquatics they are getting some more pairs next week. also if you want bettas where the female is just as colorful as the the male try betta rubra.

On 3/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Do both color up like that or mostly the male ? Want to get a pair 

That is a male in breeding condition. You can control that by the temperature 72 °F thru 75°F isn't breeding temperature while 76°F thru 82°F is breeding temperature. unfortunately my female betta hendra has passed away and I did take pictures but I found some online that was extremely close. That is a female betta hendra in breeding condition 

Screenshot_20220313-073613_Chrome.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 4:48 AM, William said:

That is a male in breeding condition. You can control that by the temperature 72 °F thru 75°F isn't breeding temperature while 76°F thru 82°F is breeding temperature. unfortunately my female betta hendra has passed away and I did take pictures but I found some online that was extremely close. That is a female betta hendra in breeding condition 

Screenshot_20220313-073613_Chrome.jpg

Sorry you lost her was thinking of getting a pair for $55

On 3/13/2022 at 1:15 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Sorry you lost her was thinking of getting a pair for $55

Thanks. where are you planning on buying them from? I recommend Blackwater Aquatics but they are wild caught so they will be a little more sensitive to water changes and just to let you know any wild caught fish will try to breed once introduced to a new environment so be prepared. also this second pic I found is usually what the female looks like non breeding condition. Screenshot_20220313-073626_Google.jpg.8698f5738814a3722dd7582bb6ddaec0.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 10:30 AM, William said:

Thanks. where are you planning on buying them from? I recommend Blackwater Aquatics but they are wild caught so they will be a little more sensitive to water changes and just to let you know any wild caught fish will try to breed once introduced to a new environment so be prepared. also this second pic I found is usually what the female looks like non breeding condition. Screenshot_20220313-073626_Google.jpg.8698f5738814a3722dd7582bb6ddaec0.jpg

Nice PNWBettas just got some in they are tank raised