Betta Hendra

William

I haven't kept any Hendra but they're on my bucket list. I've read that they can get really reclusive in large tanks, I don't know how true that is but any time I've kept a betta of any kind in anything bigger than a 20 long I always wished I'd done a 10 to 20 gallon instead.

I wouldn't do a 2.5... I think maybe a 10 for a pair and go from there. A 5 might be fine but I'd worry about an aggressive male, especially if they breed, and a 10 will be easier to keep stable than a 5 anyway. A 20 long I think would be great if your goal is a colony of them.

I think they're part of the Coccina complex, so if you're having a hard time finding info on Hendra then maybe information on Coccina might be helpful too.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Do both color up like that or mostly the male ? Want to get a pair 

That is a male in breeding condition. You can control that by the temperature 72 °F thru 75°F isn't breeding temperature while 76°F thru 82°F is breeding temperature. unfortunately my female betta hendra has passed away and I did take pictures but I found some online that was extremely close. That is a female betta hendra in breeding condition 

Screenshot_20220313-073613_Chrome.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 4:48 AM, William said:

That is a male in breeding condition. You can control that by the temperature 72 °F thru 75°F isn't breeding temperature while 76°F thru 82°F is breeding temperature. unfortunately my female betta hendra has passed away and I did take pictures but I found some online that was extremely close. That is a female betta hendra in breeding condition 

Screenshot_20220313-073613_Chrome.jpg

Sorry you lost her was thinking of getting a pair for $55

On 3/13/2022 at 1:15 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Sorry you lost her was thinking of getting a pair for $55

Thanks. where are you planning on buying them from? I recommend Blackwater Aquatics but they are wild caught so they will be a little more sensitive to water changes and just to let you know any wild caught fish will try to breed once introduced to a new environment so be prepared. also this second pic I found is usually what the female looks like non breeding condition. Screenshot_20220313-073626_Google.jpg.8698f5738814a3722dd7582bb6ddaec0.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 10:30 AM, William said:

Thanks. where are you planning on buying them from? I recommend Blackwater Aquatics but they are wild caught so they will be a little more sensitive to water changes and just to let you know any wild caught fish will try to breed once introduced to a new environment so be prepared. also this second pic I found is usually what the female looks like non breeding condition. Screenshot_20220313-073626_Google.jpg.8698f5738814a3722dd7582bb6ddaec0.jpg

Nice PNWBettas just got some in they are tank raised