Good quality non-linear air pumps

James L

One of my two Whisper 100 pumps died, rebuild kits hardly seem worth saving $8 and they are not "that" quiet so looking to replace them both with something of better quality.  Running 5 sponge filters and 2 airstones and would like some spare capacity for brine shrimp and more tanks. A piston pump seems like overkill but it seems like it's where the actual quality is but this is in a spot where i doubt i'd have more than 10 air devices running at once. 

So far I have only found 3 options that might fit the bill but would be great to hear any first hand experience with them or options i am missing. 

Jehmco DAPMH15

Hygger 10W

Pawfly 7W

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, James L said:

One of my two Whisper 100 pumps died, rebuild kits hardly seem worth saving $8 and they are not "that" quiet so looking to replace them both with something of better quality.  Running 5 sponge filters and 2 airstones and would like some spare capacity for brine shrimp and more tanks. A piston pump seems like overkill but it seems like it's where the actual quality is but this is in a spot where i doubt i'd have more than 10 air devices running at once. 

So far I have only found 3 options that might fit the bill but would be great to hear any first hand experience with them or options i am missing. 

Jehmco DAPMH15

Hygger 10W

Pawfly 7W

Thanks for the help!

This one peeked my interest.  It's a 20 W unit with a price tag of $39.99  Seems like an interesting design at this price point.  The pump may be a little big for your particular requirements, but thought it may work.  Hope this helps.  😊

VIVOSUN 317 GPH Commercial Air Pump 20W

Edited by DaveSamsell
Update specifications

I've really got to put in a plug for the USB nano pump here. I've kept fish for almost 30 years, and I will never use anything else.  And before you click away because it's too small, lemme explain.

Almost all pumps come with that characteristic hum to it. Some are quieter than others, but all have it. The USB nano does not. You just can't hear it.

As a result, with my tank setup in my office, where I have 5 tanks running airstones plus two bubbling breeder tanks, I've installed no less than 7 USB nano pumps on one rack. But all I hear is air. No hums, no buzz, just peaceful white noise.

I would buy 7 USB nano pumps before I would buy one pump to handle them all. A few other advantages:

1. With the adapter, you can put two on a single power outlet.
2. You can easily put a two-day battery backup on them.
3. If one fails, you replace the pump, not the entire system.
4. Want to upgrade? Just add a couple more.
5. Because it hangs from the rim of the tank, it brings its own drip loop and there is no shelf space necessary.
6. They draw less power: under 1w per pump, for the air that you get.

I kid you not, if I had a fish room with 50 tanks, I would be running 50 USB nano pumps!

Bill

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 1

Thanks Bill,

I was considering that option and I do appreciate the advantages of a distributed system than an eggs-in-one-basket approach.  That said in terms on overall neatness I would want a decent multi USB charger to drive them all since I have a traditional UPS in my setup already I would be looking at ~$100

I suppose I am really curious if anyone has used the Jehmco diaphragm pumps and if they are of quality befitting the price otherwise I will probably go the nano route.  

• Like 1