14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Thanks for the great review! $22 is cheap insurance. 

I wish I could find a pack like this that also charged via solar for my pond.

Great idea! I am SO going to find something solar that works for the 17g daphnia tub I'm hoping to set up in the next few days...

1 minute ago, Chandra said:

Does it power two usbs?

Sort of. The port that you use to charge it can also be used as a second output port, so it can work on two devices if it's not plugged into the wall. Which cancels out the "pass through" benefit.

1 minute ago, Bill Smith said:

Sort of. The port that you use to charge it can also be used as a second output port, so it can work on two devices if it's not plugged into the wall. Which cancels out the "pass through" benefit.

There is another model with two devices plus charge. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S833MNS/ref=emc_b_5_t

Do you know it passes through?

• Like 1

This was such a good idea! This is definitely going on my list of upgrades ideas for when I start my fishroom build. I’d love to see how many tanks it could power if the usb went to a gang valve. For my main fishroom build I was going to go with a linear piston air pump to run the room but I think I’d do this with one usb air pump and run lines to a few tanks that I’d be most worried about. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

This was such a good idea! This is definitely going on my list of upgrades ideas for when I start my fishroom build. I’d love to see how many tanks it could power if the usb went to a gang valve. For my main fishroom build I was going to go with a linear piston air pump to run the room but I think I’d do this with one usb air pump and run lines to a few tanks that I’d be most worried about. 

Not sure how powerful the USB nano pump will be on a gang valve...I wouldn't trust it for more than two tanks in an emergency. Might consider a UPS for the linear piston pump instead and keep your whole fish room running.

(UPS test coming soon. I did one of those too!)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

I’m still new to the hobby, what’s a UPS @Bill Smith

Uninterruptible Power Supply. Basically a power strip with a giant battery on it. It's intended for desktop computers, to give you a few minutes to save your work in the event of a power failure. But those draw a lot more watts than a simple aquarium filter pump, so it should be even better for those, right?

So I ran a test with an entry level UPS to see how much time I could get. I'll post those results in a new thread in a couple more days.

Spoiler: You'll get maybe a couple hours; not worth it. 

Just run backup sponge filters in your pond, spare tank, breeder tank, quarantine tank, etc. and one of the above battery packs and you're golden for days!

If I had a fish room, I'd seriously consider running a small pond full of sponge filters and overloaded with cleanup crew (siamese algae eaters, bristlenose plecos, snails, etc.). And just place them whenever you need an extra boost somewhere.

Edited by Bill Smith
Clarification

• Administrators

This thread is a great example of what I hope to accomplish with this forum. This will serve as an information source for many forum goers to come. This is what I was able to test for myself when bringing the product to market, but never got the time to do a write up, or video etc. Plus I like to see that our new upgraded usb adapter is powering. In my previous tests I used a build in charger/adapter to accomplish this but you get twice as much run time as my setup was. Nice work!

9 minutes ago, Cory said:

This thread is a great example of what I hope to accomplish with this forum. This will serve as an information source for many forum goers to come. This is what I was able to test for myself when bringing the product to market, but never got the time to do a write up, or video etc. Plus I like to see that our new upgraded usb adapter is powering. In my previous tests I used a build in charger/adapter to accomplish this but you get twice as much run time as my setup was. Nice work!

Thank you Cory for the kind words, it means a lot. Not to derail this thread or anything, but thank you for setting up this forum. I don't make videos, and I have no interest in setting up a channel. So this forum provides a way for me to share what I've learned in a format I'm more comfortable with.

More to come in the coming weeks, I hope!

Thanks for reading!

Bill

• Like 2

Thanks. that is what i was looking for. I bought 5 one for each of my tanks. My theory is that one airstone can provide enough air in a power outage where i normally run two in each tank. Part of my hurricane preparedness.

Your article reads like an engineer wrote it (with some writing skills), as a retired electrical engineer i give this a 👍.

Edited by Michael St.John
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Michael St.John said:

Your article reads like an engineer wrote it (with some writing skills), as a retired electrical engineer i give this a 👍.

LOL, thanks! Never had my writing analyzed before. Not an engineer, but very much a hardcore techie and Maker!

• Administrators

By the way, I tried a couple different solar powered battery banks and never had one that worked well enough with our norwest sun exposure. I am hopeful that someone can find one that'll run a remote pond as I think it's doable. 

71cUjMgUACL._AC_SL1200_.jpg