Pond temp worries

Ryan S.

Going to be a very unseasonably cool week this week in Kansas where I live.  Do I need to worry about guppy fry in my pond at these temps?  I've got Florida flagfish fry as well but I think they can handle it ok. First year summer tubbing and I'm thrilled with the results, just don't want to lose a lot of progress.  Let me know your thoughts. 

Pond is approx 35 gallons, above ground, partial sunlight, heavily planted with a sponge filter running.

Screenshot_20200801-090013_The Weather Channel.jpg

Edited by Ryan S.

I'd say the guppy fry will be ok, my guppy pond is seeing temp swings from mid 50's at night to high 70 to low 80's (air temp).  Just went and looked fry are swimming.  I have not logged the temp overnight yet, going to set it up and start a 24 hour log now.  It is a 110 gallon.  

Here is the current temp

IMG_4806.jpg.6981ac4d383bf6be013b1312c7b967fd.jpg

T1 is air temp, T2 is the pond (tub) 6:50 AM.  Our high only got up to about 76 yesterday.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

I'd say the guppy fry will be ok, my guppy pond is seeing temp swings from mid 50's at night to high 70 to low 80's (air temp).  Just went and looked fry are swimming.  I have not logged the temp overnight yet, going to set it up and start a 24 hour log now.  It is a 110 gallon.  

Here is the current temp

IMG_4806.jpg.6981ac4d383bf6be013b1312c7b967fd.jpg

T1 is air temp, T2 is the pond (tub) 6:50 AM.  Our high only got up to about 76 yesterday.

Thank you, that is good info.  What temperature device are you using?  Would you share a link?  It looks like a good tool to have!

Also in Kansas, it's been a chilly week for August. I was worried about my Guppy and Platy tubs, specifically the fry growout tubs and was contemplating just bringing, but they have done well.

Getting hot again here next week, so I'm glad I waited it out. 

Flag fish should be fine in those temps, I've  kept them in similarly sized tubs through winter here in Florida, which gets to those temps and a bit lower, as well as they are native  to all of our local lakes and ponds.

Guppies on the other hand, I think it really depends on how durable your strain is. I lost  a couple tubs worth of fancy delta tails the first winter here in Florida when it got down to 50 at night. So I started keeping small heaters in the tubs during winters here (mind you, a Florida winter still rarely ever sees freezing temps, so the heaters could keep up).

So for the guppies, I'd  suggest getting a heater in the tub, and once the temps continue to drop, be ready to move them inside.

I've got a problem of a different sort here in central North Carolina in August, the surface temperatures in the pond is 96°F.

20200802_2970.JPG.36846243ac5ad2bca6814f5295502770.JPG

It is cooler in the deeper parts. The koi and the guppies seem fine, but I haven't seen the corydoras for a few days.

Edited by Daniel

Here is the 24 hour grab.

110 Gallons

Above Ground

Minimal direct sun and only partial coverage

1919657702_24hourguppypondtemp.jpg.72427ea0bc9a869ebcc0f00557f6dba5.jpg

Going to set it back up and let it run for a few days.

image.png.413828b0b70e556b2397b0af7a59bc5e.png

Well looks like I added two and cannot delete the extra, enjoy the second look!

image.png

Edited by KBOzzie59
Added image