Hydra and Baby Brine Shrimp

Daniel

The only tanks I notice hydra in are those I feed baby brine shrimp. I bet the hydra hitchhikes on the hornwort I bring in from my pond. But it only flourishes in tanks that are regularly feed baby brine. It also could be that bbs turn hydra orange which helps me see the little rascals. I think these miniature anemones are pretty cool!

Update,

It possibly doesn't come in on the hornwort. I found this little patch in my Daphnia tank just now:

Hydra.png.179eb694e5bad8b47ce26bb6978dabd0.png

Might have come in with the wild caught Daphnia. I have a theory about why just one small local patch in a 10 gallon tank.

Maybe only one hydra, the founding hydra came in and this is just that one hydra reproducing. I sucked all of these little guys up with a piece of rigid airline tubing because I don't want the hydra getting fat on my Daphnia and cleaning all the Daphnia out!

I think mine came in on gravel from Home Depot that wasn’t rinsed well enough. Although I have only seen it also in my fry tank where I was feeding basically only coop’s fry food and frozen bbs. I have also heard it’s basically in house dust dormant and waiting to resurrect? 

Relocating infected rocks and plants to the pea puffer tank did basically nothing, but I put a plant with a colony on it in the blood parrot tank and I swear there’s none left now. Since all the fry I have seen seem to avoid them, I think they’re kinda neat.