Guppies bought online - how to acclimate after week in the mail

Brian P

I ordered 5 guppies from a reputable breeder a week ago, and I screwed up and did not pay for overnight mail, instead did priority two day.  The USPS held my guppies hostage for a week and they are finally being delivered today.  Assuming they are still alive, would you do anything different other than acclimate them normally and start feeding them?  I am in Oklahoma so it's not real cold here, but they came from the East coast.  The tank they are going in is about 75 degrees.  My fear is their water may be pretty chilly as the heat packs died out.  

I will agree with the above about temperature acclimating them, but to be clear after doing that don't just dump the bag in your tank.  That water will be pretty nasty after the fish being in it for a week.  My usual method is pour the water through a net and into a bucket, then transfer the fish from the net to the tank.  You likely already knew that, but I wanted to add it in for others who may see this.

Also, a few months ago I shipped a 3" pearl gourami that was in the mail from Tuesday until the following Monday, and he arrived fine, so it's likely your guppies will be also.

• Like 1

All 5 DOA, warning do you order any fish right now unless you overnight them.  These came from NJ to OK via priority mail, took 7 days to get here.  Fish were clearly dead before I got them.  Very tough way to learn.  Tried to save $25, could not justify cost for mutt guppies.  Will definitely put a hold my aquarium hobby for a while.  

agree, ive got an order in with the co-op, they shipped it quick, was supposed to be here the 1st of dec. was actually at the local mail sorting facility, but they turned around after sitting on it for a few days, and sent it 3 or 4 states away!!! hopefully the plants live.

sorry about the guppy's, that sucks.

• Like 1