Red Neon Blue Eye Rainbowfish

Liquidreel

Super funny you’re posting about these guys now! I have 6 of them I ordered to my LFS that came in today and will be ready to take home Friday. I’m a little concerned though because they are tiny little guys (.5”-1” max) and I was expecting them to be much larger (the size of the other pseudomugils they stock). They’ll be going in a pretty heavily planted 20 gallon with a few guppies. 

I have had an awesome experience with my red dwarf Lilly bulb from aquarium co-op if you’re looking for an easy plant that gives surface cover. I have to remove 1-2 pads per week if not more to allow light to reach the rest of my plants!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Liquidreel said:

And do people think they would be okay with some cherries?

If by cherries you mean shrimp, yes. If you mean barbs, then no. They are little, but beautiful. My spotted blue eyes spawned often, but no fry because I never worked hard enough to get rid of the snails.

20 minutes ago, Brandy said:

If by cherries you mean shrimp, yes. If you mean barbs, then no. They are little, but beautiful. My spotted blue eyes spawned often, but no fry because I never worked hard enough to get rid of the snails.

Yup I meant shrimp! Thank you for the Info! I’m hoping to breed some for fun but also wanted to breed cherry shrimp too.

I'm also planning to breed these in the future too, so ill share some of the things I've gathered from researching. I haven't put any of these into practice yet and will be my first time trying breeding too, so definitely take it with a grain of salt.

-Colony breeding is possible but could have less yield. Definitely want lots of cover so they don't eat eggs. I would recommend you getting more plants, floating plants, dense amount of moss, etc.

-Higher temperature will speed up eggs hatching, faster egg hatching means the fry are bigger and stronger. Temp should be minimum 80F or higher. Faster egg hatch time is anywhere from 10-20 days.

-If your water is at a high temp and it takes more than 20 days for them to hatch, sometimes the chemicals in water conditioners can cause the eggs to take longer. Try using aged water or other methods to get rid of chlorine and chloramine.

-Have small food ready, I've read conflicting info about the fry being too small for baby brine shrimp. My plan is to have sera micron and ocean nutrition's instant baby brine ready. I only have 2 nano tanks, so hatching baby brine isn't worth it to me. Currently power feeding the adults the instant baby brine so I can differentiate the males and females.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/2/2020 at 3:03 PM, Liquidreel said:

Yup I meant shrimp! Thank you for the Info! I’m hoping to breed some for fun but also wanted to breed cherry shrimp too.

I was going to ask something similar. will they hunt down baby/juvenile shrimp?

I have bred P. gertrudae, and I am currently breeding P. luminatus.

It sounds like you want to colony breed based on your original post. 

I definitely agree with @Brandy in regard to cherry shrimp compatibility. I do not keep shrimp currently, but there is a tour of LRBAquatics fishroom where he mentions observing Neocaridina shrimp clean rainbowfish eggs.