Snail food question

Rita

So I bought 3 Nerite snails and 6 Amano shrimp to help with diatom algae... and I’ve bought some crab cuisine and algae wafers for when the algae runs out... and well... it’s running out! They’ve done an amazing job. But now I’m concerned my snails aren’t getting enough food. I definitely see the shrimp go after the crab cuisine. I tried a blanched zucchini and no snails were interested. I haven’t tried the algae wafers yet but I’m concerned because of course the bag says to only feed what they’ll eat in a few minutes... but like... they’re snails. Lol it’ll take them forever to find the food. Should I just leave it in the tank and let it dissolve?

• Like 1

I've sometimes broken a sinking wafer in half or even quarters to feed some of my little bottom feeders. Even then, they'll let it sit for a few hours to soften it up for them, then they might come sniffing around. If they don't, that'll just create more waste to help grow more algae! I say keep the lights on for a little longer or feed your fish and other critters a little heavier and you'll get more algae in no time!

My snails like zucchini but it takes them hours to find it. I often pick them up and drop them near the zucchini to help them out. If you see them near the food but not eating it, I’d say that means they’re still getting plenty of their preferred food source, which is the algae.

7 hours ago, Rita said:

But now I’m concerned my snails aren’t getting enough food

I had the same concern soon after getting nerites, they were so efficient in dealing with algae. So I started feeding blanched carrots and algae tablets and the snails took that readily, especially the carrots. When feeding algae tablets, I put them right next to the snails and I skip feeding the fishes. 

• Like 1