Centerpiece fish for 29 gallon guppy tank

Andy R

I dont have it set up yet but I will be heavily planted. Unfortunately my lfs won't take any even for free. I am concerned about over populating the tank and want to make sure I'm properly prepared before getting started. 

Edited by Andy R

How warm do you keep your tank?

If over 80F, german blue rams are an option. At least in my tanks I've found them to be voracious guppy fry hunters. They take the fry out when they are young, less than a week old. If the guppy fry manage to escape them past that time, they are usually big enough they can no longer be eaten by the rams and so the rams ignore them. 

I keep four to six female guppies in each tank with a pair of german blue rams, and at that ratio, the rams seem to be missing perhaps one guppy fry per forty or so born. I figure its extra protein for the rams (your LFS may not take guppies, but will they trade or buy rams?), and keeps the guppy population from exploding. If I do want to keep a batch of guppy fry until they are larger to select out some particular fish, I just net the female guppy into a breeder box a few days before she pops, let her have her fry there, and return her to the tank.