Quarantine procedure for guppy fries

subramn

I would highly recommend using the med trio as instructed above for guppies showing no signs of disease coming in from an Online source or LFS with a 10 gal QT bare bottom tank.  I also recommend using a preseeded sponge filter or other preseeded filter material to start the cycle in the QT tank.  If you get the guppies from a local breeder or other known source maybe just QT and treat as needed.

I had a lot of issues cycling my 10 gal QT tank before it got seasoned so I recommend having a test kit/strips for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and alternate beneficial bacteria source on hand.  I ended up having to add a cup full of gravel to correct the cycling issues in the tank.  I am currently running the QT tank with a medium sponge filter powered by an Aquatop AP-50 air pump, guppy grass, and the same cup full of gravel with 30%-50% weekly water change.  I would personally recommend QT for a month before adding with other guppy colonies or display tanks because it is so much easier to observe and treat them in a QT tank and guppies can be fragile (although I do not always follow my own rules here).

• Like 2

Just now, subramn

thank you so fries will be able to handle this? i setup a 10 gallon bare bottom tank for quarantine procedure.

Yes, the fry will be able to handle the quarantine med trio. Cory says he's used the meds on everything: fry, snails, shrimp, fish, etc. If they are already healthy, they will be fine. If they have parasites, fungal infections, etc, it will help get rid of that. The only problem would be if you received a fish that was already so sick that it couldn't recover. But that is rare.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with your new baby guppies. They are amazing, fun little fish to raise!

Alesha

• Like 1

I forgot to mention one other thing.  If there are guppy fry arrive or are kept with the parents/adults be sure to keep them all well fed or the adults will eat the fry.  This extra feeding may require additional water changes as well.  Guppies have no parental instincts whatsoever.  Best of luck on your guppies!