Can I shorten a Python?

Fishmonger_X

So I was delusional about how long of a python I'd need when I got one a few years ago. I got a 100ft long and really I only need about 25-30 feet of tube.  100 feet of tube is nearly impossible to create suction when my tanks aren't that far away.... it takes forever! If I take apart the pump that connects to the sink can I just cut and heat up the tube to fit it back over the pump or will I just have to go back and buy a new 25ft one?

I don’t have a python, I made a DIY set up that’s similar.

Lookin at a few you tube videos , it should be very east to shorten the hose. Make sure you take it apart by unscrewing the end. Note how it was assembled and put it back the same way after cutting to length. 

You shouldn’t heat up hose. It may make it brittle leading early failure. Just push it on then screw the backing collar on. If it is too hard to push on to the barb, I would put a little soapy water as a lubricant. A drop or two of dish soap in a cup of water. 

I agree with all Except the soapy water. DON'T DO THIS. If you use your python to refill your tanks. This is not required. I have had the Lee's siphon's and the Python. Lee's does use a cheaper version of tubing which is more stiff. The tubing Python uses is more flexible.

Using soap is an option for automotive or other home application, just not for an aquarium.

If you do find it difficult to push the tubing over a fitting, put the end of the tube in very hot tap water for a few minutes to warm up the tubing and make it more pliable.

Good luck with your project.

• Like 1