Hydra observations

Hello all, wanted to share some of my observations while trying to minimize hydra.

My 10gal had a bad issue of hydra, I was breeding killi and they would only eat live baby brine. I developed a literal sheet of hydra in a portion of my tank.

After trying to kill it by starving, I’ve found it’s almost impossible to completely get rid of hydra, and it will just reform on the next brine shrimp feeding.

I use a pippet to add brine, I was adding it to the tank from a space where my auto feeder is, same spot every day.

I experimented with adding brine from different parts/areas/corners of the tank, changing it each feeding and this has GREATLY reduced the amount of hydra and I no longer have a solid sheet of it in my tank. It’s not completely gone but it’s not nearly as noticeable 

Anyone else have any other tips?

• Like 2

Panacur-c dog dewormer. -fenbendazole .1 mg per 10 gallons. (Point one or 1/10)
fish and shrimp safe. NOT SNAIL SAFE it will be a few months before tank is snail safe. 
I use it on my Killi fish tank and all my fry tanks for hydra.  Kills them off in 2-3 days with only 1 dose keeps them at bay 3-5 months for me. 

I dissolve as best I can in water then add to tank so it spreads 

Panacur available on amazon

• Like 2

On 10/9/2024 at 11:40 AM, Guppysnail said:

Panacur-c dog dewormer. -fenbendazole .1 mg per 10 gallons. (Point one or 1/10)
fish and shrimp safe. NOT SNAIL SAFE it will be a few months before tank is snail safe. 
I use it on my Killi fish tank and all my fry tanks for hydra.  Kills them off in 2-3 days with only 1 dose keeps them at bay 3-5 months for me. 

I dissolve as best I can in water then add to tank so it spreads 

Panacur available on amazon

I’ll check it out, thanks 

This article by Gary Lange and Mike Hellweg recommends adding 2-3 drops of bleach to your bring shrimp mix when you initially put your eggs in. The idea is to kill of any hitchhikers. That said... That's not much help if they're already in the tank.

https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/freshwater/a-scientific-economic-and-commonsense-approach-to-brine-shrimp-hatching

On 10/11/2024 at 1:32 AM, Schuyler said:

This article by Gary Lange and Mike Hellweg recommends adding 2-3 drops of bleach to your bring shrimp mix when you initially put your eggs in. The idea is to kill of any hitchhikers. That said... That's not much help if they're already in the tank.

https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/freshwater/a-scientific-economic-and-commonsense-approach-to-brine-shrimp-hatching

This is great! Thank you!!

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 3:32 AM, Schuyler said:

This article by Gary Lange and Mike Hellweg recommends adding 2-3 drops of bleach to your bring shrimp mix when you initially put your eggs in. The idea is to kill of any

I’ve watched tons of videos on hatching BBS and this is the first I’ve heard of Hydra contamination. Has made me rethink the whole operation. Anyone know if AC eggs are pretreated for such? I have not ordered eggs yet, but do have a simple hatchery on the way as a trial. May return unopened!
any input welcomed on Hydra ( or any other hazards with DIY BBS) chance. 

On 10/11/2024 at 3:34 PM, Potterygal said:

I’ve watched tons of videos on hatching BBS and this is the first I’ve heard of Hydra contamination. Has made me rethink the whole operation. Anyone know if AC eggs are pretreated for such? I have not ordered eggs yet, but do have a simple hatchery on the way as a trial. May return unopened!
any input welcomed on Hydra ( or any other hazards with DIY BBS) chance. 

The benefits of the bbs I’ve seen far outweighs the hydra. EVERYONE eats bbs.

Not sure if they are treated and not something I plan on adding a chem for. 
I use the bnyee brand,recently switched to the coop brand. Honestly I think they supply coop. Their pricing and quantities changed at the same time coop made a big bbs marketing push.  That’s just my tin foil hat thought.

Edited by NoCo tap water
  • Like 1

I’ve had Hydra in several of my tanks. I don’t think they come from the bbs eggs, as in the eggs are contaminated with Hydra. I think they are a symptom of feeding baby brine shrimp. 

Just like I never introduced seed shrimp or detritus worms, yet I still have them. They are a symptom/part of the ecosystem inside the tank. I hatch brine shrimp weekly, fill up my little ice tray, feed what’s left live, and then thaw and feed frozen throughout the rest of the week. I’ll take a little Hydra for all the benefits of hatching and feeding my own foods. @Potterygal

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 6:28 PM, Potterygal said:

So they are in the eggs? What do hydra do or harm and do fish or shrimp or snails eat them? I have tiny chili rasboras, amanos,nerite snail.

They are too small to really hurt fish. They struggle with large daphnia. They may be able to eat some shrimplets but fur the most part they are just unsightly and could eat infusoria that fry snack on.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 4:54 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Just like I never introduced seed shrimp or detritus worms, yet I still have them. They are a symptom/part of the ecosystem inside the tank. I hatch brine shrimp weekly, fill up my little ice tray, feed what’s left live, and then thaw and feed frozen throughout the rest of the week. 

This is an awesome idea, that tip alone is going to save me a not small amount of money and endless time skimming after an omega one frozen feeding.

• Like 1

Let me find some pics:

IMG_4325.jpeg.5e465503a2d81c171482113a6d2c5eec.jpeg
I hatch 1 Tablespoon of eggs. I do a 36 hour hatch as it simply works best for my life, and I believe I get a slightly better hatch.

IMG_4327.jpeg.40cf6a7b1f2b9b19c90bc8abc8be0251.jpeg

This is the little ice cube tray I use. What’s left in the Tupperware is what I feed live. The tray gets frozen, and then I use 2 horizontal rows from the tray each night when I feed. Keep in mind I have 14 tanks, and the majority of them get some of the frozen bbs, so that’s simply the system I use that works best for me. If you have less tanks, or less tanks with fish interested in bbs, this ice tray could stretch much further than one week. 

On 10/11/2024 at 10:34 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Let me find some pics:

I hatch 1 Tablespoon of eggs. I do a 36 hour hatch as it simply works best for my life, and I believe I get a slightly better hatch.

This is the little ice cube tray I use. What’s left in the Tupperware is what I feed live. The tray gets frozen, and then I use 2 horizontal rows from the tray each night when I feed. Keep in mind I have 14 tanks, and the majority of them get some of the frozen bbs, so that’s simply the system I use that works best for me. If you have less tanks, or less tanks with fish interested in bbs, this ice tray could stretch much further than one week. 

Where did you grab that tray? I do daily small batches and would like to not….

IMG_2990.jpeg.d17a9d0e256e7c6d9db848f7379b7605.jpeg

On 10/11/2024 at 10:34 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Let me find some pics:

Bro, 14 tanks!! You have photos anywhere? Love it!

On 10/11/2024 at 6:54 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I’ve had Hydra in several of my tanks. I don’t think they come from the bbs eggs, as in the eggs are contaminated with Hydra. I think they are a symptom of feeding baby brine shrimp. 

Just like I never introduced seed shrimp or detritus worms, yet I still have them. They are a symptom/part of the ecosystem inside the tank. I hatch brine shrimp weekly, fill up my little ice tray, feed what’s left live, and then thaw and feed frozen throughout the rest of the week. I’ll take a little Hydra for all the benefits of hatching and feeding my own foods. @Potterygal

On 10/12/2024 at 9:43 AM, NoCo tap water said:

On 10/12/2024 at 9:43 AM, NoCo tap water said:

do daily small batches

Slightly off topic but those small in tank hatcheries are the type I just ordered one. 
Would you share your water / salt ratio pls? All things I see are for a liter of water so just curious what works for these 6”tall units??? How many eggs too. I only have 2 tanks ( 10 g and a 5 g for my betta) . 
many thx!

I have a heated 2.5g ( no fish just for plant s) that I plan to use for hatching. If I get the nerve!!!

On 10/12/2024 at 7:43 AM, NoCo tap water said:

Where did you grab that tray?

Amazon, like most things in the world, lol. Came as a pack of 2. 

On 10/12/2024 at 7:43 AM, NoCo tap water said:

Bro, 14 tanks!! You have photos anywhere? Love it!

I’ve detailed the past 2 years of so of tank journeys in my journal. I could also send you some pics in the DM we have going. 

• Love 1

On 10/12/2024 at 11:49 AM, Potterygal said:

Slightly off topic but those small in tank hatcheries are the type I just ordered one. 
Would you share your water / salt ratio pls? All things I see are for a liter of water so just curious what works for these 6”tall units??? How many eggs too. I only have 2 tanks ( 10 g and a 5 g for my betta) . 
many thx!

I have a heated 2.5g ( no fish just for plant s) that I plan to use for hatching. If I get the nerve!!!

Don’t over think it, it’s a super forgiving process. I use tank water filled to 3/4 ish full, I think it’s 500ml . Add a rounded scoop of salt, for me it’s a tsp ish. Add a leveled scoop of eggs. Mine rest on the side of my tank, no heater.

Go feet first , my mom was able to get the hang of it, you totally can.

I don’t think the salinity matters too much. I think it’s just helping the egg soften mostly. Not sure on that though 

Edited by NoCo tap water
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2024 at 12:01 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Amazon, like most things in the world, lol. Came as a pack of 2. 

I’ve detailed the past 2 years of so of tank journeys in my journal. I could also send you some pics in the DM we have going. 

Man, I’m a technology illiterate millennial. I haven’t been on any Internet forum in over 10years. Thanks for holding my hand …

I use mystery snails to usually get rid of hydra, but some can be slackers. One mystery snail I’ve grown so attached to, I named it Larry, is always the lazy one of the batch. He did crawl out of his tank once, and since the tank is right next to my bed, he decided to go towards my face. Before I knew it, I woke up to discover I had a mystery snail in my face. But yeah, mystery snails can definitely get the job done.

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2024 at 10:41 AM, NoCo tap water said:

Anyone else have any other tips?

I think you showed a pic with your bbs hatch tubes. I received mine today and not clear on how to set up (single only) I see you have two coupled perhaps. 
does air tube go inside?? I really don’t feel smart asking what/ how  all these holes and stoppers function . A simple instruction sheet would have been helpful. 
image.jpg.b63cdc3b6231bdf24f552d36ccc4c137.jpg

On 10/15/2024 at 7:29 PM, Potterygal said:

I think you showed a pic with your bbs hatch tubes. I received mine today and not clear on how to set up (single only) I see you have two coupled perhaps. 
does air tube go inside?? I really don’t feel smart asking what/ how  all these holes and stoppers function . A simple instruction sheet would have been helpful. 
image.jpg.b63cdc3b6231bdf24f552d36ccc4c137.jpg

No worries. They send lots of extra parts.

IMG_3021.jpeg.d8ab0bcf8a61f42f32bd558ae88ebe81.jpeg

I can’t discern which top port is taking the air tubing/ middle one?? And does air tubing also go down in the inside to the bottom like I’ve seen with others? What are brown and blue stoppers on top function? 
thank you for helping . I will try not to pester on this much more. Thx.

Edited by Potterygal