spotted gar care

Lemon

@Coryhave you or do you know anyone that has these?

@Danielyou have some big tanks have you ever kept one? or do you know anyone that has

i know this mostly a "community" tank forum but does anyone have experience with these

ok so the reason I'm asking is we had a plumber over to fix some plumbing and he saw some of my tanks and said do want my spotted gar 

thanks 🙂

• Administrators

I haven't kept them, but they get a couple feet minimum. You'd usually want a tank that is 3-4 ft front to back depth at the minimum as they can't turn well, they are pretty much a stick with fins.

9 minutes ago, Cory said:

I haven't kept them, but they get a couple feet minimum. You'd usually want a tank that is 3-4 ft front to back depth at the minimum as they can't turn well, they are pretty much a stick with fins.

ok thanks 🙂

many years ago i had spotted gar, and short nose gar. i had them in a 120, and kept them until they were 18-20".  the spotted gar could probably be kept long term in a 120 as they dont get too big, but you definately want them in something with some swimming room. i think a 24" deepx48" long tank would be considered a bare minimum for them.