Vallisneria spiralis

Tanked

Not much of an experiment really, but I bought Vallisneria Spiralis for the third time.  This time from the LFS. 

The intent is to have a tall background plant. 

The difference this time:  the ACO light is at a higher intensity, The roots on one plant have been left partially exposed. 

Previous plantings have migrated to a front corner in the aquarium where they receive a few minutes of direct sun before eventually dying anyway.

• Like 5

On 10/3/2024 at 11:59 PM, Fish Folk said:

My friend just passed along some Vallisneria asiatica to me today. It is commonly known as "Corkscrew Val." It is so beautiful . . . I've enjoyed the straight Vallisneria americana for many years...

Screenshot2024-10-03at11_58_52PM.png.a420369cd421427cfeb5643ab6d3e06e.png

Now I'm all in on the Corkscrew Val. I can't wait until it takes over!

Going over my notes just now I realized that this is my fourth attempt to grow Vallisneria Spiralis.  If my LFS had Corkscrew Val. I would have tried that.  When I reentered the live plant world  6 years back, the Anubia Nanna Petite I bought wasn't Petite, and the Jungle Val that was supposed to take over my tank, put out a few runners and died. 

I moved on to the Italian Val. Vallisneria Spiralis because it was alleged to be a smaller easy plant.  I thought that eliminating my DIY lights in favor of the ACO light would keep the background plants in the background.  The results have been been better, but ultimately the Val. migrates to one small corner where depending on the time of year, they get a few minutes, up to an hour or two of direct sun before dying. 

Ironically, my LFS claims all of their plants are happy under lights which to my eyes is quite dim.

That light should have plenty of power for your purposes with a 7-8ish hour photo period. 

In my experience with an inert substrate, Vals like ferts (especially potassium) and the occasional root tab in the beginning. Conversely, they do not tolerate "liquid carbon" type algicide very well. 

Mine tended to walk a bit, too.  But the older plants didn't die off. Good luck!

On 10/6/2024 at 3:41 AM, MWilk said:

What all products are you adding to your water?

4-5 pumps Easy green, and 3-4 pumps Easy Iron on a weekly basis. and Epsom salts infrequently.  It was suggested that the Easy Iron and salts would help some with some other issues, with the Crypts, but I didn't notice any real changes.    I know the dosing is imprecise, but The aquarium is a lightly planted 29 with about 15 tetras.

On 10/6/2024 at 9:43 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

That light should have plenty of power for your purposes with a 7-8ish hour photo period. 

In my experience with an inert substrate, Vals like ferts (especially potassium) and the occasional root tab in the beginning. Conversely, they do not tolerate "liquid carbon" type algicide very well. 

Mine tended to walk a bit, too.  But the older plants didn't die off. Good luck!

Balancing this tank has always been a problem.  Over time I have tried various combinations of light vs. ferts and never quite get it.  So even though these are supposed to be "low" light plants I decided to crank it up another level for a few weeks and see what happens.  I hope the Anubia will forgive me.