Pleco is unwell!

GraceH

On 9/18/2024 at 3:15 PM, Tony s said:

looks very constipated. start fasting him. for a week if needed. You may need to get him in a quarantine tank, so he stops eating. Then follow this thread. @Chick-In-Of-TheSea was having the same problem. And let's ask @Colu

Above is my thread. I am currently treating pleco bloat because he was not able to eliminate.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2024 at 3:15 PM, Tony s said:

looks very constipated. start fasting him. for a week if needed. You may need to get him in a quarantine tank, so he stops eating. Then follow this thread. @Chick-In-Of-TheSea was having the same problem. And let's ask @Colu

Yes, might have been overfed? He looks very bloated?/constipated. water parameters would help for further info. But I think the link should help fine tho.

from @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2024 at 8:15 PM, Tony s said:

I should look closer. the box he's in will work

wow do you really think it’s constipation? her stomach is huge and eyes are so bulged! that’s awful 😞

Yes i have her in a quarantine tank as i was worried for my other fish.

Would constipation cause the red on her fins and body? 

IMG_2913.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 8:40 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Hoping 0 ammonia? The red might be a continued infection of fin rot or something of that sort? But Colu can help with that—just an idea.

My betta dealing with fin rot had this before.

the red color.

ah okay. my test strips don’t test for ammonia, that may be something I should consider buying.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2024 at 3:47 PM, GraceH said:

ah okay. my test strips don’t test for ammonia, that may be something I should consider buying.

I would recommend getting that test ASAP because ammonia is the most toxic of everything that can be tested. An ammonia test doesn’t work on a multi-strip so it is sold as a separate kit.

Very good call to move the pleco to a quarantine. Try to keep the lights off too when you are not around, to reduce stress, and if you can add extra air also, that is always a good idea when a fish is sick.

What kind of food has pleco been eating?

On 9/18/2024 at 3:27 PM, GraceH said:

Would constipation cause the red on her fins and body?

There could be multiple issues going on such as dropsy, popeye, or even parasites; hard to say. Tagging @Odd Duck also in case she has any tips.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 3

On 9/18/2024 at 9:27 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I would recommend getting that test ASAP because ammonia is the most toxic of everything that can be tested. An ammonia test doesn’t work on a multi-strip so it is sold as a separate kit.

Very good call to move the pleco to a quarantine. Try to keep the lights off too when you are not around, to reduce stress, and if you can add extra air also, that is always a good idea when a fish is sick.

What kind of food has pleco been eating?

There could be multiple issues going on such as dropsy, popeye, or even parasites; hard to say. Tagging @Odd Duck also in case she has any tips.

i’ll make it a priority to order a test kit as soon as possible.

Im keeping the lights off as the quarantine is too small to put any hideouts in there for her and definitely don’t want to stress her.

I can turn the air pump up for some extra oxygen in the tank for a while.

Food wise she has algae wafers, and the occasional cucumber.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2024 at 10:13 PM, GraceH said:

i’ll make it a priority to order a test kit as soon as possible.

Im keeping the lights off as the quarantine is too small to put any hideouts in there for her and definitely don’t want to stress her.

I can turn the air pump up for some extra oxygen in the tank for a while.

Food wise she has algae wafers, and the occasional cucumber.

What I would do is move to a quarantine tank and treat with plain unsented epsom salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons for 5 days and fast I would also do a course of maracyn2 with the redness to the fins and bulging eyes could have a bacterial component with  possible organ failure looking at how bloated it is. Epsom salt will help with constipation and fluid buildup in the body cavity and maracyn2 is a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment will treat bacterial infections 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 4

Thank you for everyone’s help. 

I have some aquarium salt on hand, now is when i start asking silly questions as i’m unsure on how to go about this.

So, although the pleco is in quarantine, the water in the box is just filtering through from the tank so i’m right to just add the salt (and medication when i get it) into the whole tank? Then do a good water change in 5 days

I’ve had my fish a while but never had to quarantine, so i apologise for the questions! 

Edited by GraceH
  • Like 1

If the waterbox if filtering through the min tank...then yes, you are adding the salt to the main tank. If using Epsom salt, that would be best separate, and not in the main tank.

I would waterchange more frequently. There is no substitute for clean water...especially if you don't have meds yet.

Remember to replace the salt that is lost during the waterchange to keep the same ratio. (Example: if you use 1 Tbsp for 5 gallons, and do a 50% water change, you would be replacing 1/2 Tbsp per 5 gallons)

• Like 2

On 9/19/2024 at 11:30 AM, GraceH said:

I’m using aquarium salt so i’m going to add to the whole tank and do a water change in 2 days, replace lost salt & another change a couple days later.

image.jpg

You want to use plain unsented epsom as epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help with constipation. aquarium salt doesn't 

• Like 1