Can you mix them all?

Garavar

On 9/10/2024 at 3:53 PM, Garavar said:

90 Gallon tank. Can you mix a bunch of Platys, Molly, Guppies and Ender's?

I don't plan on doing it but every time I look at my 90 gallon I wonder what would that look like? I am thinking amazingly chaotic.

Yep, the guppies and Endlers will cross, yielding Endler guppies, which are completely healthy and fertile (that’s what I have). There’s a chance that the mollies, which are in the same genus (Poecilia) will also hybridize with them, producing gollies or muppies. Although viable, these are typically sterile. They can ccasionally be fertile; if so, that would usually be a female.

The platies, being in a different genus (Xiphophorus), cannot hybridize with the above Poecilia species (although they easily hybridize with their congener, the swordtail).

Having said all that, from a social standpoint, all of those livebearers will get along just fine in an aquarium. Might be fun to watch! 😁

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Like 2

I'm not convinced you would have a high instance of babies. Everything in there eats fry. It would depend on what the stocking density was and how much cover was provided. That settles it, @Garavar you're going to have to run that experiment for us 😁

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, Tony s said:

I'm not convinced you would have a high instance of babies. Everything in there eats fry. It would depend on what the stocking density was and how much cover was provided. That settles it, @Garavar you're going to have to run that experiment for us 😁

Not Gonna Do It. But I do think about it often lol.

download (26).jpeg

• Haha 3

On 9/11/2024 at 6:50 PM, MWilk said:

The population of fry gets stable after some time, predation rate is very high

I had one of those with sunset plates. One of my favorite tanks of all time. Working on redoing it again 

For my platy tank, they kept the population around 30 in a 20g. All age ranges. From fry to 2 years old. It was something to see. The amount of fry present depended on the amount of cover that let them hide. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 9:41 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

I have found predation rate of guppies / Endlers alone to be very low, leading to overpopulation. Those are the only livebearers I’ve bred, so I don’t know how prone to overpopulation the other species are.

Mollies are pretty vicious. Swordtails as well. 

• Like 2