Best Plant Substrate? Tank Remodel

Brandxn

It’s been 3 years of having a planted aquarium tank and I have been thinking about redoing it after learning more and thinking of different layout ideas. I used Eco Complete when I started with a sand patch in the center and want to see if there’s better substrate brands out there from people with more experience. What is the best and most recommended substrate for planted aquariums?

• Like 1

I like father fish style tanks, not a big fan of aquasoils personally but I know lots of people yield great results. I like dirted tanks: I enjoy the microfauna that live within them (such as tubifex worms, aka BOOGIE WORMS 💃🕺🎉). I know some people get the eeby jeebies with worms though. After doing a handful of ecospheres and four dirted tanks, I recommend using a mix of clay, sand, leaf decay, forest products, and native topsoil (even better if you can get topsoil from a stream or lake)!

But again, I know not everyone is a fan of dirt in tanks. I also know that back in the day (60s and 70s, I mean) aquarists would sometimes use volcanic substrates like pozzolans... they did yield some great results!

As for aquasoils, I have no clue.

Every soil has its pluses and minuses.

I have used dirt, mineralized soil, fluorite eco complete, ada aqua soil and knock offs of just about all of them.

I like the mineralized soil and aqua soil the best.   One is very cheap, the other not so much. 

• Like 2

The easiest to plant in is fine sand in my experience, so that is my favorite. I like the caribsea moonlight sand. I've heard others suggests that plants with small roots will have a hard time growing in fine sand, but I haven't had that issue personally. Just add root tabs under root feeders.

I have some experiences with various substrates including eco complete, flourite, capped dirt and gravel. If I were to set up a tank today, I would use a thin layer of soil (probably pond soil but maybe just top soil) capped with a pretty thick layer of play sand and pea gravel. 

I watch MD Tanks and Green Aqua, they both have different styles.  Green Aqua almost exclusively uses Aquasoil, while MD Tanks uses a lot of pond soil and gravel mix and then cap with sand.  It’s unfortunate because the brand he uses only is available in Europe.  He also pretty much does fish-in cycle right away, my guess is capping the soil allows the ammonia levels to be manageable although I’m always too worried to try that myself 🙂

I just started my second tank using Aquasoil, and they leech a lot of ammonia so it takes a while to cycle, I think I am still 3 weeks away from putting in my shrimp and fish.  Although that gives me time to keep planning for how I want to finish the tank and make adjustments 🙂

On 9/10/2024 at 12:18 AM, tk_yt said:

He also pretty much does fish-in cycle right away, my guess is capping the soil allows the ammonia levels to be manageable

He uses API Quick Start and lots of plants - he's an API endorser but I can vouch that stuff works very well. The plants take up ammonia pretty fast.

For substrates, I've used gravel, sand, and eco-complete. Sand is the big winner for me, with root tabs for things like crypts.