Is amazon a good place to buy fish?

Does anyone here have experience with buying fish from amazon? Scam? Low quality? Great? Fake? Thoughts? lol. I need 4 more panda cory cats. I only have four rn. Need more, and Nowhere has options for only 4, except petsmart has them, but do not want to buy them from there if possible. they are getting kinda stressed the corys are. TIA

• Like 1

I have never bought from Amazon but I don't see much of a difference between Amazon and Petsmart.  Both are big corporations that hurt the mom and pop. But if thats the only option then sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Like 2

@NOLANANO, I might disagree with the comparison between Amazon and Petsmart. You can buy from vendors on Amazon who are small businesses that pay to sell on Amazon. Whether you agree or disagree with Amazon and their business I can't deny that it's smart to use their customer base to help sell your products when you are small.

Having said that, whenever I'm buying from an "outside seller" on Amazon I check reviews for the seller. They usually direct ship to you and if there are returns or issues often you have to work through the seller. The better the reviews the more chance you will have zero issues. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 4

Purely curious, why wouldn’t you want to buy from a big box store? When I was new to the hobby, and before I discovered the LFS’s around me, a lot of my fish came from PetCo. Some of them I still have to this day. Albino Cory’s, my first couple Angels, etc.  PetCo/Smart vs Amazon, I would rather be able to get my eyes on the fish and be able to look for visible signs of illness, sunken bellies, etc. 

I’m simply curious why Amazon would be the preferred route? Just seems like more of a gamble to me, personally. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2024 at 2:44 PM, Beech Hill Aquatics said:

Swimming Creatures on Amazon and

That’s what he was looking for 

On 9/3/2024 at 9:46 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

When I was new to the hobby, a lot of my fish came from PetCo. Some of them I still have to this day. Albino Cory’s, my first couple Angels, etc.  PetCo/Smart vs Amazon, I would rather be able to get my eyes on the fish

I agree. And sometimes some fish still comes from there. Depending on the store of course. Sometimes you can just see when something is off. 

• Like 2

I have only bought neocaradina shrimp from Swimming Creatures on Amazon only after looking at the recent reviews and looking online on YouTube. I was happy with results and have bred the shrimp. (make sure the seller does returns or replacements in case of DOAS)

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 9:46 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Purely curious, why wouldn’t you want to buy from a big box store? When I was new to the hobby, and before I discovered the LFS’s around me, a lot of my fish came from PetCo. Some of them I still have to this day. Albino Cory’s, my first couple Angels, etc.  PetCo/Smart vs Amazon, I would rather be able to get my eyes on the fish and be able to look for visible signs of illness, sunken bellies, etc. 

I’m simply curious why Amazon would be the preferred route? Just seems like more of a gamble to me, personally. 

Yes true. I have just had oh 4-5 bad experiences there so now I actually prefer online. But this imo. Good point though. I might actually go see if Petsmart has them idk if they do tho…