Planted Tank lid - What are you using?

As some of you know, I finally decided on my lighting for my 50g tank.  I got the Fluval 3.0. 

Trying to decide what lid would allow better light penetration? 
I know no lid is best option for lighting a planted tank. However, I don't want to lose fish to jumping.  Evaporation is also a big issue.  Our apartment is super dry.  My 29g has a full Aqueon lid and it loses over 1" / week.

What is everyone using and pros n cons of it?

Options:

1. Hinged glass lid with flip top (aqueon / sepora)
  2. Hinged glass lid DIY (dep on the cost of custom cut glass)
  3. Sliding glass lid DIY
  4. Wire mesh lid (premade wire mesh lizard tank type lid)
  5. Mesh lid DIY (made of either plastic craft mesh, fabric mesh)

I just prefer the double-walled polycarbonate sheets used for greenhouses because it is very economical and easy enough to custom fit. I have had one too many occurrences of glass lids accidentally falling into the tank! This way, the damage to my plants is minimal if it falls in. I just wipe it down occasionally to clear calcium buildup.

• Like 2

I use the twin walled polycarbonate as well, but I'm not concerned with looks, just evaporation and fish jumping. That's your best bet if you don't mind it looking terrible. If you do then I'd go with the sliding glass diy option for max light penetration and ok looks. 

Or you could do a light screen for the fish and set up an auto top off to deal with evap. A reef forum would be a good place to get ideas for both and how to make it look best.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2024 at 6:29 PM, Woowala said:

If you do then I'd go with the sliding glass diy option for max light penetration and ok looks. 

Or you could do a light screen for the fish and set up an auto top off to deal with evap. A reef forum would be a good place to get ideas for both and how to make it look best.

This is going to be my main tank in livingroom so i don't Want the ugly polycarbonate.   I do like the sliding glass ones.  Look  nice easy to do.  Will have to price it with a couple custom glass shops and see how much it would be.  Also going to explore a screen option.

Can't Do auto top up here.  In an apartment so that wouldn't work out.   Curious to see if anyone here is using a screen.  Would be nice to know how bad the evaporation Is vs glass top

I think if you're losing an inch of water a week in a covered tank, it's gonna be really bad without one.  The tank will lose a lot of heat too. 

I'd try to figure out a leak proof ato if I went with a screen in that situation. 

• Like 1

Number one for me. It keeps heat in and water from evaporating really well. 

It's not a con to me, but some might find having to wipe it down all the time; but not me. Just normal maintenance like all other tank stuff. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2024 at 7:05 PM, Jeff said:

Number one for me. It keeps heat in and water from evaporating really well. 

It's not a con to me, but some might find having to wipe it down all the time; but not me. Just normal maintenance like all other tank stuff. 

My deluxe aqueon hood on my 29g has glass under the light.  Always wipe it down when I do water changes, so used to that.   Have looked into other materials...Acrylic / Plexiglass etc and they seem to have issues with sagging, and eventually get pretty etched from hard water stains.  I would expect that to eventually affect the lighting and need replacing more often.   Think rather deal with glass.  so much easier to clean.   Now have to decide if buying one, or making one.  Will depend on the pricing from custom glass spots.   I can get the Aqueon lid for around $55 locally, and a seapora one runs $75

Edited by Arcticgypsy

I’ve used standard Aqueon glass Versa-tops for most of my tanks, but also have built my own plastic mesh tank covers for reef tanks.

Honestly I’ve always ended up preferring the standard glass lid. Covering up the gaps where equipment enters the tank with the mesh window screen lids was always a problem and if I’m going to have a lid I would rather not deal with excess evaporation.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2024 at 12:53 AM, DallasCowboys16 said:

I’ve used standard Aqueon glass Versa-tops for most of my tanks, but also have built my own plastic mesh tank covers for reef tanks.

Honestly I’ve always ended up preferring the standard glass lid. Covering up the gaps where equipment enters the tank with the mesh window screen lids was always a problem and if I’m going to have a lid I would rather not deal with excess evaporation.

Good to hear.  I've read mixed reviews on the Aqueon lids.  Mostly hinge failures after a while.  In my research have discovered some clear hinges that you can get, should be able to replace easy enough with those.   Seapora makes some as well.  I know their tanks are decent.  costs about $20 more.  not sure if worth it.  not many reviews on the seapora ones. 

Very interested in this topic and ideally pictures. We dont have aqueon here and a lot of the tops/covers are just too full. I have now a tank where I have house plants, but also have corydoras in, so need at least some form of making the humidity stay in and have the top covered.

for now I went half way, until I figure out something else, because it is summer still. I found a glass sliding door from a cabinet that tis sort of ok, I could use something that is 10cm longer 🙂

image.jpeg.451dfa5f488b5c965c57e9e64c45a400.jpegimage.jpeg.1e258915101ba9f688679dcef6c39268.jpeg

I think I will have to finalize the plant holder and go to a glass shop and have pieces cut to fit the gaps, but not too precise in case I need to remove the planters/replace. These fish dont need tight fitting lids I hope

• Like 2

On 8/21/2024 at 12:15 AM, Arcticgypsy said:

Good to hear.  I've read mixed reviews on the Aqueon lids.  Mostly hinge failures after a while.  In my research have discovered some clear hinges that you can get, should be able to replace easy enough with those.   Seapora makes some as well.  I know their tanks are decent.  costs about $20 more.  not sure if worth it.  not many reviews on the seapora ones. 

You’ll break the hinge after 3, 4, 5 years but they are readily available for replacement and like you said, there are after market replacements available.

I actually run some of my tanks without the huge because I like being able to just lift the whole front half off and the hinge will also cast a shadow when running suspended lights above the tank.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 9:25 AM, DallasCowboys16 said:

You’ll break the hinge after 3, 4, 5 years but they are readily available for replacement and like you said, there are after market replacements available.

I actually run some of my tanks without the huge because I like being able to just lift the whole front half off and the hinge will also cast a shadow when running suspended lights above the tank.

that's why I was thinking about the sliding glass lid vs the hinged ones.  waiting to hear back from a couple custom glass places.  have a feeling prob cost me more to do a custom lid vs the aqueon style lids. 

On 8/21/2024 at 7:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

I bought the twin wall poly. Yeah it does not look great. I was considering getting a piece of the acrylic at the hardware for show tanks. 
maybe look into that?

heave read the acrylic lids absorb water over time.  causes them to expand / bow.  also imagine hard water stains hard to remove and eventually block light.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2024 at 3:54 AM, beastie said:

Very interested in this topic and ideally pictures. We dont have aqueon here and a lot of the tops/covers are just too full. I have now a tank where I have house plants, but also have corydoras in, so need at least some form of making the humidity stay in and have the top covered.

for now I went half way, until I figure out something else, because it is summer still. I found a glass sliding door from a cabinet that tis sort of ok, I could use something that is 10cm longer 🙂

image.jpeg.451dfa5f488b5c965c57e9e64c45a400.jpegimage.jpeg.1e258915101ba9f688679dcef6c39268.jpeg

I think I will have to finalize the plant holder and go to a glass shop and have pieces cut to fit the gaps, but not too precise in case I need to remove the planters/replace. These fish dont need tight fitting lids I hope

This is what I'm considering...our home depot doesn't carry glass like this.  but being 18" I will prob  go to a custom glass spot get it cut, edges smoothed out to make them safe.

i want it sliding from front to back, so will be something like this

you can do it side to side like this as well

Edited by Arcticgypsy
  • Like 1

On my planted tanks, I use the aqueon style lids, but I just remove the "hinge" strip because it blocks the light and keeps it from spreading like i want. The hinges eventually  fail anyway, and to me its easier to move the lid pieces for cleaning, etc. Its easier to get them out from under my light without moving it, and if I remove one piece, the other piece is still in place to protect from jumping/splashing.

• Like 1