Need ideas/help! How do I fix this chip?

HansE

I got this secondhand rimless tank from my neighbor a while back. While painting the back of it black last night, I noticed a chipped corner! It's not a huge chip, and seems to be totally covered by the silicone seam. Do I worry about it? Ignore it? 

If it needs to be addressed, what do we think is the best plan? 

My best thought was to get a pair of 2 in. x 2 in. squares of glass and adhere those over the chip and cracks; one on the back panel and one on the side panel, effectively forming a "glass patch". Thoughts?

Many thanks!

PXL_20240807_191330372~2.jpg

PXL_20240807_191157972~2.jpg

PXL_20240807_185542364~2.jpg

PXL_20240807_185557219~2.jpg

PXL_20240807_185615214~2.jpg

PXL_20240807_185715034~2.jpg

PXL_20240807_190106697~2.jpg

PXL_20240807_190155028~2.jpg

Edited by HansE
Increasing readibility 🤓

That makes me nervous - my first thought would be to get some potable-water-safe epoxy and seal it up best you can. 

But I've never dealt with such things (crosses fingers) and defer to others - good luck!

• Thanks 1

How big is the tank? If it’s less than 40g , I’d scrap it, and pick up a new one. I know, seems like an absolute shame. But that looks like a structural crack. I’m sure you can fix it… temporarily. When it goes it’s all going to go. Could be every gallon on the floor. I just wouldn’t 

• Sad 1

On 8/7/2024 at 8:40 PM, lefty o said:

i just wouldnt even try. maybe if your fish room is in the garage, or an unfinished basement. somewhere you dont mind getting wet.

Given the cost of a tank, I wouldn't worry about trying to save this one.  Cut the seals, use it for lids or something.  I wouldn't try to salvage something that has ~3 weak points on it and two of those being high stress areas.

On 8/8/2024 at 2:20 PM, HansE said:

I LOVE your idea to do the flip/rotate maneuver! Thank

I do too. Turns out that may be a lucky place to get a chip. If you can get it resealed. We never like giving bad news. But it’s better to hear the truth than to temporarily get it fixed and have it fail. We had a girl on here a couple of months ago. Got given a large tank. I believe it chipped upon moving. Right in the middle of the corner. Just heartbreaking to tell her. Or, it would be for me to hear that.

• Thanks 1

In this case the bad news is that it's a real pain in the butt to tear apart and rebuild a tank lol.  Also be careful, razor blades and sharp edges and all that. If money were no object I'd just buy a new one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1