How to add water without disturbing substrate?

I am not a planted guy. But with my sand substrate I try to put the pipe either in a plastic bag or some mug before it reahes the sand. 

I dont know if its the the best way, just a suggestion🙂

Edited by yash severums
  • Thanks 1

Yep, place a small flat dish on the substrate, place a mug on top of the dish. Carefully pour into the mug and let it pour out slowly from the mug. You’ll get better as you do it more often. After it’s full, take mug and dish out and you’re done. Easy Peasy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2024 at 1:57 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Yep, place a small flat dish on the substrate, place a mug on top of the dish. Carefully pour into the mug and let it pour out slowly from the mug. You’ll get better as you do it more often. After it’s full, take mug and dish out and you’re done. Easy Peasy

Thank you, i will do this.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 1:14 PM, yash severums said:

I am not a planted guy. But with my sand substrate I try to put the pipe either in a plastic bag or some mug before it reahes the sand. 

I dont know if its the the best way, just a suggestion🙂

Thanks! For the suggestion @yash severums

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 8/4/2024 at 12:56 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

So that is why I ask, easy to disturb it.

Yeah I made a mess yesterday of my water  change, I plan to see if there is a “reverse siphon “ that doesn’t have to be above tank level to work. I know/ pHySics lol

• Like 1

I use a colander/strainer and it works very well to distribute the water and not disturb the substrate. Plus, they usually are the perfect size to sit on the rim of the tank while you pour water in.

In my 10g I literally pour water into my betta’s floating log so it doesn’t mess up the gravel😂

Not practical but hey, it works😂

I believe there’s also a 3D printed contraption I’ve seen on Etsy for this exact purpose. I bet if you typed in water change distributor it would pop up

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 8/4/2024 at 3:26 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

my 10g I literally pour water into my betta’s floating log so it doesn’t mess up the gravel😂

In my 5 gal Fluval I pour in thru the sponge cartridge on side that’s separated from tank. My newer 10g still making mess bc my bucket is so heavy and harder to juggle but colander or even an AC SPONGE could help disperse. I don’t have sand but it still kicks up stuff even after gravel vac. BTW - who gravel vacs weekly or less often? 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 4:00 PM, Potterygal said:

In my 5 gal Fluval I pour in thru the sponge cartridge on side that’s separated from tank. My newer 10g still making mess bc my bucket is so heavy and harder to juggle but colander or even an AC SPONGE could help disperse. I don’t have sand but it still kicks up stuff even after gravel vac. BTW - who gravel vacs weekly or less often? 

I gravel vac every single week. Substrate, algae debris, I think it makes quite a difference imo. @Potterygal

I hang a filter sock on the side of the aquarium to diffuse water entering the tank. 

I use this technique for my shrimp tanks because buffering substrate has a tendency to break down over time and turn muddy. Anything that disturbs it makes the water a freakin mess, waaaaaaaaaaaay worse than sand.  But, you do have to throttle the water flow a bit so if you're doing massive water changes this could become time consuming. But on 40g's and below it works well. 

Filter socks are also a great way to do water changes (removing water as well as adding) in aquariums with even the most microscopic fry. Just hang the sock on the side of the aquarium and put the siphon inside it.  

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 4:52 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I hang a filter sock on the side of the aquarium to diffuse water entering the tank. 

I use this technique for my shrimp tanks because buffering substrate has a tendency to break down over time and turn muddy. Anything that disturbs it makes the water a freakin mess, waaaaaaaaaaaay worse than sand.  But, you do have to throttle the water flow a bit so if you're doing massive water changes this could become time consuming. But on 40g's and below it works well. 

Filter socks are also a great way to do water changes (removing water as well as adding) in aquariums with even the most microscopic fry. Just hang the sock on the side of the aquarium and put the siphon inside it.  

Thanks! Good info @tolstoy21

On 8/4/2024 at 4:55 PM, PlantedAri said:

I'm a fan of pouring water onto some folded up aluminum foil; I tried a colander at first and the aluminum foil is even gentler for me.

Will try it thank you!!!!! @PlantedAri

I have not read all replies… so my apologies if this is redundant: cut a sheet of bubble wrap the size of your water surface. Float that, and pour / fill water on top of that. It significantly reduces substrate disturbance. (Not my own idea)

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 8/4/2024 at 5:04 PM, Fish Folk said:

I have not read all replies… so my apologies if this is redundant: cut a sheet of bubble wrap the size of your eater surface. Float that, and pour / fill water on top of that. It significantly reduces substrate disturbance. (Not my own idea)

No I don’t think so, that is a good idea though! @Fish Folk thx

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 5:04 PM, Fish Folk said:

I have not read all replies… so my apologies if this is redundant: cut a sheet of bubble wrap the size of your water surface. Float that, and pour / fill water on top of that. It significantly reduces substrate disturbance. (Not my own idea)

I like this idea a lot. Gonna have to give it a try with my shrimp tanks.

• Like 2

Should be. I don't know the diameter of the ones I use. But really, that doesn't matter. 

Just experiment a bit with water strength when filling the tank and you'll be set.

I started using these when I bred Odessa Barbs. I was doing 2 - 3x water changes a day and those were handy to not suck out teeny-tiny fry, nor blast them with a firehose of water when re-filling. Since then, they are all I use for water changes..

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1