How to remove excess tannins?

IMG_4176.jpeg.aea7fec294611374110704714c63b70a.jpegIMG_4177.jpeg.a63d45381814fb9d5a17b46cd59bccd8.jpeg

this is my 55 community tank. A few months ago I repainted the back and when I set up the tank again I used topsoil caped with pool filter sand. The topsoil contains a lot of wood and I was wondering if there is a way to remove some tannins without using chemicals or buying a filter being that I only plan on using sponge filters. If not how long until the tannins do not darken the water this much? Would it be better if I just redid the tank again? Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Waterchanges! yup its that easy, by doing regular water changes you can slowly remove the tannins from the water. Just know that tannins are completely harmless to your fish. Some may actually like the tanks as it makes it easier to hide 😄 but if it bothers you water changes (weekly) is gonna do it. The wood is gonna leech em into your water for awhile but once they are all out it'll stop. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Im not sure if it is only tannins in your case. The water looks a bit green and blurry. It can also be a beginning of the green water maybe?

Also do you test your ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 8:54 PM, Mississippi fish guy said:

I do not test my water regularly, should I?

Me neither. Unless I suspect about something.

I think it wouldn't hurt to see these three numbers and make sure the water is ok even if it looks blurry a bit. You seem to have more wood pieces in your other topic. Were they dry and suitable for the tank use? 

• Like 1

Water changes will do it over time, but Mopani releases a LOOOT of tannins so you may never get the result you’re looking for. If you just don’t want to see the tannins, Seachem Purigen is your best bet (even though you said you don’t want to use chemicals, it’s the most effective way).

But I do agree your tank looks a little murky aside from the tannins. How long is your light on every day?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2024 at 1:16 PM, Lennie said:

You seem to have more wood pieces in your other topic. Were they dry and suitable for the tank use

I boiled most of the tannins out of the wood in my wolf fish tank so the water is clear with a reasonable amount of tannins.

On 8/2/2024 at 1:24 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Mopani releases a LOOOT of tannins

It has been in the tank for a few months so I suspect that the wood in the topsoil is also a major contributor.

How long is your light on every day?

I have my light on a timer for 9 hours a day.

your tank looks a little murky

There are small particles of dirt from under the sand in the water and a lot of very small white dots that I think are infusoria. And no the white dots are not on any fish.

Mopani releases a LOOOT of tannins so you may never get the result you’re looking for

I don’t mind some tannins but right now there are just too many.

Edited by Mississippi fish guy
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 9:41 PM, Mississippi fish guy said:

I boiled most of the tannins out of the wood in my wolf fish tank so the water is clear with a reasonable amount of tannins.

Not all wood are suitable for use with all animals. Also even the suitable woods should be completely dry before use to my knowledge. I didnt mean boiling for sterilising/tannins but more like if the woods you use were ok to use in an aquarium or if they are ok, then if they were ready and dry to be used so

On 8/2/2024 at 1:59 PM, Lennie said:

Not all wood are suitable for use with all animals. Also even the suitable woods should be completely dry before use to my knowledge. I didnt mean boiling for sterilising/tannins but more like if the woods you use were ok to use in an aquarium or if they are ok, then if they were ready and dry to be used so

All of the wood is fine for aquariums to my knowledge. Only the large one in the center was collected from a dead tree in the woods around my house. I’m not sure what kind of tree it came from but this I a picture of it’s leafIMG_4180.jpeg.4725c3889cb68d0b446827844dd3fb6d.jpeg I soaked that piece but there were very few tannins though I had to weight it down for a day to keep it on the bottom. All of my other wood was dry when I bought it. The mopani wood was soaked as well to remove some of the tannins and the spider wood I got from Amazon was boiled a final time prior to use so that it would not have to be weighted down.

Mopani wood is my favorite. Not my wife's.🤣 We have an arrangement; the tannins stay in for a month, then they go away. Absolutely no appreciation of tannin waters. In planted tanks I used chemipure green. in others, either regular chemipure or purigen

Water changes will gradually remove it. If you can wait that long

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 8:32 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Just know that tannins are completely harmless to your fish.

Not exactly true. Aquaculture engineer friend of mine who is also looong time hobbyist told me such high content of tannins is bad for some fish if they are naturally not adapted for them when I wanted to try my guppies in a blackwater setup. It irritates them and makes them open to skin related diseases if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 2:24 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Seachem Purigen is your best bet (even though you said you don’t want to use chemicals

I'm not sure I would put Seachem Purigen in the chemical category. It's a nitrate-selective ion-exchange resin. Imagine that it acts like fly paper for nitrogen wastes and other organics (like tannins).  It does not release anything into the water; it only removes things until it reaches capacity at which point it needs to be recharged (cleaned) with a weak bleach solution.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 6:26 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I'm not sure I would put Seachem Purigen in the chemical category. It's a nitrate-selective ion-exchange resin. Imagine that it acts like fly paper for nitrogen wastes and other organics (like tannins).  It does not release anything into the water; it only removes things until it reaches capacity at which point it needs to be recharged (cleaned) with a weak bleach solution

Thanks for clarifying that. I might try that in my main tank as well as my moina/snail culture. I have had issues with ammonia in my culture but water changes remove too many moina for me to do them regularly ( unless their small water changes).

• Like 1