Snail sits at top of tank

I just bought two nerite snails at PetSmart 4 days ago. One of them seems to be perfectly happy and is moving all around the tank. The other snail sits at the top of my tank above the water line all day every day. I have tried moving it down further into the tank and it just crawls back up. Is it sick? Is this normal? 

Sometimes snails do this. My mystery snails did. Depends on the individual snails. I’ve had eggs layed outside the tank. I’ve found them outside the tank on the floor. Several times looking completely dried out. If you ever think they’re dead and dry, always put them back in and wait. They almost always seem to come back. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 9:31 PM, fishdogs said:

Is this normal

I had a new nerite do this and after a few days it reverted to exploring. I hope yours does as well. It’s  just taking longer to adjust perhaps. Give it time . I know it’s hard to do, as I was very worried. It’s still my slowest Nerite out of three I have. 

• Like 1

Anything is possible, but I would say normal.  Nerites can spend days above the waterline, just resting. Other than a trip into the HOB outflow, mine never traveled above the rim. They were often found under the rim, but above the waterline where the minerals were likely concentrated due to evaporation..

• Like 1