Severe Stocking Indecisiveness ​🫠​

Lucie

There are a lot of options that I am considering for this 10-gallon aquarium setup I’m planning. (I have been spending WAY too much time pondering and pondering and changing my mind back and forth) I am really interested in keeping a planted aquarium, so I don’t want anything that is known to disturb or eat plants. I am interested in keeping more than one variety of animal; however, I am open to keeping a single species tank. I would describe my experience level as intermediate, perhaps leaning more towards the beginner side. Here’s some of the species I’ve considered and why I like or don’t like them as an option. I would love to know if anyone has experience with the specific things I’ve mentioned or if anything immediately stands out. My main goals with this aquarium are to try new things and just have an enjoyable tank to watch! I love fish with unique behaviors and personalities. What I’ve kept before are bettas, ember tetras, cherry shrimp, and guppies. (Not all together of course lol)

Pygmy Corydoras

Pros: They are really cute, I love catfish species (someday I’m getting a bigger tank so I can have a pleco lol)

Considerations: I might need a sand substrate for them which I am worried might be harder to clean and keep clean, I would want to keep a good group of them, and I feel like I might not be able to have more fish in my tank size

Otocinclus

Pros: Cute, little catfish, kind of pleco-like

Considerations: I worry about getting them enough to eat, or that I’ll have to be constantly cultivating tons of algae and won’t love looking at it. I also feel like they may be less active/more boring to watch, and don’t have the most stunning colors to me (neither do the corys to be fair), not sure how many I should keep

Chili Rasboras

Pros: Tiny, so I could keep more of them hopefully without overcrowding the tank

Considerations: I don’t love the way they look in a lot of pictures/videos I’ve seen them in, however I hear they color up a lot when they settle in/mature, and I like the way they look with the color on them.

Green Neon Tetras

Pros: Smaller than regular neon tetras, beautiful bright colors

Considerations: Will they look good/work well with some kind of centerpiece fish?

Neon Tetras

Pros: Easier to find locally, striking colors

Considerations: Will they be too cramped in my tank?

Celestial Pearl Danios/Galaxy Rasboras

Pros: Really cool looking (one of my favorites visually), small

Considerations: Pricey, and I haven’t seen any locally, they don’t always appear to be as colored up as some pictures I’ve seen online

Rummynose Tetras

Pros: I don’t know why but I really like the way these guys look

Considerations: Probably not suitable for my tank size because of their activity level

1 Male Guppy

Pros: Some of the fancy varieties are really pretty and would make a cool centerpiece (like a little betta but non-aggressive)

Considerations: I’m not super confident about sexing them in the store and would prefer not to get a pregnant female. Also, I’m not sure if they can happily live as the only one of their species in the tank

Honey Gourami

Pros: Cool centerpiece fish

Considerations: Maybe aggressive? Also don’t want to “spend” too much of my tank space on this without other fish because I’m not SUPER crazy about them.

Neocaridina Shrimp

Pros: I’ve kept them before and I could get a different color variant to change things up, I love watching them, they are easy to breed which is fun

Considerations: I’ve kept them before, I don’t want to stress too much about my shrimplets getting eaten, I don’t necessarily want to end up with a billion of them

Kuhli Loaches

Pros: They are unique and cool to watch!

Considerations: Maybe too creepy lol, not sure how many I can keep in my tank so that they’ll feel safe to come out

Apistogramma (Borelli, Agassizii, Trifasciata)

Pros: Really cool looking, different from anything I’ve kept, might be able to keep a breeding pair and they are so cute taking care of their babies

Considerations: Single species tank, might not have enough time to breed them, might be pricey/not available locally, maybe would do better in a larger tank

Zebra Danios

Pros: Active, high contrast pattern

Considerations: Maybe too active for my tank size

Thanks for taking the time to read all my musings! Any insight/personal experiences with my considerations (or pros) would be greatly appreciated. And feel free to include how you would personally stock this 10-gallon tank pulling from my above options?

• Like 1

If I could persuade you to go for a 20-long instead of a 10-gal, I am sure you would thank me later. But I will speak to what you’ve asked.

Here are some species that I have kept that you might not have considered before.

(1) Pseudomugil paskai (or similar species) — miniature Rainbowfish with lovely displays between males — body size of a Neon Tetra.

IMG_6236.jpeg.3ec6701976de838f196b163955

(2) Betta Imbellis. These are a less aggressive Betta species. They’re generally peaceful… but beware about con-specific tank mates. Here my male courting a female separated by a chastity tube…

965F023F-2D20-4ECB-8F73-10DB68BEB5C5.jpe

(3) Fundulopanchax scheeli (Emerald Killifish). These are gorgeous, non-annual gemstones from Africa…

C3E6A3E4-B88A-4F99-A71D-753619525776.jpe

(4) Elassoma gilberti (Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish). These are U. S. Natives that do not require a heater, nor much flow. They are very secretive fish, but when makes get excited, they’re tremendously beautiful…

IMG_6358.jpeg.5fc550743f9b11e51f704f70d1

• Love 2

Yes a 10 gallon is in the end very limiting. One mid sized school and maybe one more fish and that is all she wrote.

To your fish choices. Rummynose and zebra danios are out, too large, too active swimmers.

I will never recommend otocinclus, because they are all brutally caught from the wild and they will starve and you will lose 80% of the fish you buy. That is just the way it is with them.

Chilli rasboras are all about the feeding. Microworms, hatched bbs, frozen cyclops, vinegars eals and you will have vibrant school of curious hunting fish. Dry food and you will have a bland group. Also they are shy, for me they are ok one week, hidden the whole next month, didn't find the logic behind that.

Neons, for me, are a fish that looks good if you have a hundred of them in a large tank. Small numbers makes it an ugly fish and 10 gal won't allow for large numbers.

Honey gourami are a fun and amazing fish, but not alone in the tank. Maybe with kubotai fish. I second anything pseudomugil, cause I love them dearly 🙂

I don't have experience with cpd, one male guppy most likely won't work, they like company and keeping it isolated is cruel. Even if it is a company of other fish. But he will pester them.

for me kuhli loaches are a bigger tank fish, and people complain about them being shy, but my are super active. But they are in a large tank so maybe that is why.

Btw i tend to spend months going on about a stocking for a tank, changing my mind, doing research towards this and that. None of my other tanks gave me as much problem as my 13 gal does, as it is too small for too interesting fish (pair of apistogramma won't work there) but it is a bit too large for just one species, or it is a pressure to pick the best species .. 🙂 so i feel you 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:12 PM, Fish Folk said:

If I could persuade you to go for a 20-long instead of a 10-gal, I am sure you would thank me later.

This is such good advice.  It will open up options on fish and plants, and will be easier to maintain. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2024 at 1:36 PM, Lucie said:

There are a lot of options that I am considering for this 10-gallon aquarium setup I’m planning.

Well, where you are in the planning stage still….I would echo what others have said…and bigger gives more stocking options…

If footprint of the tank is at a premium, a 20 high would double the gallonage with only 4 more inches of length and 2 more inches front to back…

personally I find 10 gallons too limiting for my taste and I use them as quarantine, treatment tanks only.

20 high is still a small tank though and going with mostly Nano fish has a lot going for it.

If you do enjoy keeping plants though, footprint of a tank becomes king as you plant in the footprint.  Bigger tank bottom, bigger canvas to paint on…

I adore Green Neon Tetras and their smaller size is a definite plus.  They light up the tank like a jewel visible from across the room…. They inhabit mostly the middle of the tank.   They get along with any fish I have placed them with and play nice.   Espei Rasboras also fill the same bill. Dwarf emerald  rasboras also fit in the same category but they tend to be more reclusive and hide in the vegetation more.  

Chili rasboras are tiny and once they color up are striking, but coloring up take quite a long time.  They school tightly and mostly stick to the top quarter of the tank.  Stratification in a tank into layers of fish  is more noticeable in taller tanks.

If I were stocking a 10 gallon myself as a display tank I would likely go with 8 green neon tetras and 5 Pygmy cories.. given their small size and bioload the numbers should be fine if you can avoid overfeeding.  (Small amount once a day). 

Adding a lush planted garden will help considerably as it gives the fish space to get away and rest and I think it makes the tank feel bigger than it would otherwise, and it helps to absorb nitrates.., But of course,water changes quickly reduces nitrates in its own right…

Edited by Pepere
  • Like 1

There is an important issue with killifish and their nature I think we should mention. They live pretty short. And as long as one is not buying eggs or breeding themselves for the next gens, they already complete a lot of their lifespan until they are sold in a store before you buy them. Based on the species, they will either live one or two years with you max, and when you get one, very likely the one you get is already old enough to be likely live much less than that.

I think that can be good for someone who likes to try many species or interested in the work, time and effort it takes to breed them for generations; but it is pretty bad for me as I like to spend the longest time possible with my fish and not deal with keeping eggs in the soil hatching next gens and putting such effort. They surely look beautiful, but if a person has only one tank at home, maybe have some kids who will also emotionally bound with the fish or them themselves, then such species are no good IMO.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 6:14 AM, reefhugger said:

This is such good advice.  It will open up options on fish and plants, and will be easier to maintain. 

Another vote for a 20g long; if you can swing it. So much better. 

I was in the same boat as you. I started a 10g when the pandemic hit. And I finally upgraded to a 20g long...and it's rather shattering...lol. 

I honestly didn't think it would be as big of a deal as it has been. But, so many more options for not only fish and plants - but a more enjoyable viewing experience. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your input! I will be glad to get bigger aquariums someday but for now this is what I already have and have space for. Besides I kind of like the fact that I’m limited in my stocking options because I already can’t decide as it is 😂 I don’t want to open a whole new world of possibilities right now. As for the killifish they are stunning but probably not for me. And I know a larger tank can be more forgiving with water parameters but I feel pretty comfortable managing them, and it’s actually easier for me to maintain because it’s simply less water to change and lug around, and less surface to clean. I don’t have any fancy water change systems haha just a gravel vac and a bucket.

Based on your replies I’m really leaning towards a honey gourami centerpiece fish. With the Pygmy corydoras and maybe green neons as well? I think I’ll try to stock slowly to give my tank time to catch up and see how my parameters are. Any advice on which fish to add first?

On 7/28/2024 at 8:07 PM, Lucie said:

Based on your replies I’m really leaning towards a honey gourami centerpiece fish. With the Pygmy corydoras and maybe green neons as well? I think I’ll try to stock slowly to give my tank time to catch up and see how my parameters are. Any advice on which fish to add first?

I would add neons first, gourami second, pygmys last. 

Pygmys are shy and in my experience, honey gouramis want fish around or feel stressed, so they will want that activity going around them.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2024 at 1:07 PM, Lucie said:

Any advice on which fish to add first?

On 7/28/2024 at 1:33 PM, Lennie said:

I would add neons first, gourami second, pygmys last. 

I would agree with this so long as the beneficial bacteria is well established.  

I remember as a youth we never knew about the nitrification cycle and beneficial bacteria.  We just knew that fish tended to die when starting a new tank, and thats the way it was.  I loved Neons as a kid and was always heartbroken that they seemed to be the first to go…. They always seemed the most susceptible…