Sand showing Poop?

So this is probably a stupid question but should seeing poop on my sand be an indication that I am not cleaning enough? I vaccuum the sand 1st a week and do a water change but I still see quite a bit, especially under the filter (Fluval 407). I have light sand so it's pretty noticeable but I guess is this an indication that I am not "doing enough" or am overstocked?

• Like 1

What is your stocking, and also no you just might have a larger amount of fish. If you vacuum every week then there would be pretty much no way that it is you allowing this to happen. But light sand like tan colored, and fish that poop a LOT can be a big cause. Just gotta make sure your getting every corner and edge of your aquarium @Mercfh. Wo dint worry to much tho honestly.

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

Maybe you need to lower your intake a bit more so the 💩 can get into the filter. Improving flow might help, as well as critters like cory cats that drive debris up into the water column where the flow will eventually direct it into the filter. Hard to say w/o knowing the size of your tank and having a picture of your setup. If your flow is weak you might just need to clean the filter more, or add another depending on tank size. 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2024 at 4:26 PM, Mercfh said:

but I still see quite a bit, especially under the filter (Fluval 407)

You’re always going to see poop on light sand. Nothing unusual about that. The fact that it sits underneath your canister means you have a dead spot there. You can tinker with the inlet and outlet to see about reducing it. Or add things like power heads to direct the flow where you want it and eliminate the dead spots.

• Like 1