Hello! So I have a 75 gal aquarium that has driftwood with java ferns and moss, and val. in a ceramic pot inside the tank to contain it. Temp is about 74 F. My stocking is currently:

2x Dojo Loach (super fun gold and brown loaches)

1x Senegal Bichir (love this fish, the other loaches encourage him to be active)

1x Clown Loach (swims with dojos, is very active)

1x Angelfish (Black, super sleek, cant wait for him to get huge)

1x Electric Blue Acara (Super Cheap plant friendly cichlid with AMAZING color)

My tank has been doing great, just added the Angel and EBA last week, angel is a bit shy.

I was thinking of getting another solo fish similarly sized to the EBA that had a different, just as bold color, I kind of went for a spread of colors, and would love something Red, Green, or Yellow. I would get a Rope Fish but I read that I should probably have one of those in a 6ft tank, and I feel like my tank already has too many bottom dwellers. I originally wanted to have an oscar or goldfish tank but cant give up my planted tank, or its benefits.

Im looking to get another two fish for this tank and call it a day. I will probably add a second angel if I can find a red devil, guy at the store said two males can work in a 75g, and that mine was probably a male. What can you recommend for me? Thanks!

Edited by FlareTech

On 7/23/2024 at 11:58 AM, FlareTech said:

red devil

Don't add a Red Devil most of your fish will be killed. Also lfs gave you bad advice 2 males will fight etc. Clown loach should be in a group. It's good to know it mingles with the dojo loaches. @FlareTech

On 7/23/2024 at 12:25 PM, Tlindsey said:

Don't add a Red Devil most of your fish will be killed. Also lfs gave you bad advice 2 males will fight etc. Clown loach should be in a group. It's good to know it mingles with the dojo loaches. @FlareTech

Figures, any red fish ive ever gotten had to be returned because they were aggro. Itll be hard to get a female angel if theyre small I read, and if they start to breed theyll probably be aggro to my other fish right? 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:45 PM, FlareTech said:

Figures, any red fish ive ever gotten had to be returned because they were aggro. Itll be hard to get a female angel if theyre small I read, and if they start to breed theyll probably be aggro to my other fish right? 

Yes definitely will get aggressive protecting egg, wigglers, or fry.

On 7/23/2024 at 12:25 PM, Tlindsey said:

Don't add a Red Devil most of your fish will be killed.

I think we're having a bit of miscommunication here. I believe @FlareTech was talking a red devil angel. and not a red devil cichlid.  2 angels would be perfect.

I started with 6 juveniles in my 75. ended up with 2 pairs. one set was mostly peaceful. The other male was just plain mean. His pair is in a breeding tank now. and, unfortunately, the other female passed. so, 3 males in the 75 with no issues. but every tank is different 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 2:34 PM, Tony s said:

I think we're having a bit of miscommunication here. I believe @FlareTech was talking a red devil angel. and not a red devil cichlid.  2 angels would be perfect.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:46 PM, Tony s said:

I started with 6 juveniles in my 75. ended up with 2 pairs. one set was mostly peaceful. The other male was just plain mean. His pair is in a breeding tank now. and, unfortunately, the other female passed. so, 3 males in the 75 with no issues. but every tank is different 

Ok awesome, Yes I did mean Red Devil Angelfish.

Sounds good for that, then.

• Like 2

A red devil Angelfish would go great in your tank.  I think some Pearl Gouramis would look really good in your tank.  One male and a couple females to help the male stay colored up.  Maybe think about some tetras for a splash of color.  Six or more of red & blue Columbia tetra or bleeding heart tetras look nice when they're grown out.    Good luck.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 2:34 PM, Tony s said:

I never heard of a red devil angel but thanks for the clarification. @Tony s

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 4:43 PM, Tlindsey said:

I never heard of a red devil angel but thanks for the clarification

I think it's just a different name for red shouldered manacapuru. Or at the least a very red form of Koi. I have seen them in a couple of spots

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 4:11 PM, Silverback said:

A red devil Angelfish would go great in your tank.  I think some Pearl Gouramis would look really good in your tank.  One male and a couple females to help the male stay colored up.  Maybe think about some tetras for a splash of color.  Six or more of red & blue Columbia tetra or bleeding heart tetras look nice when they're grown out.    Good luck.

Yeah I like Koi but the red looks super nice.

I was thinking of adding Pearl Gouramis, but worry about them being too small and in the future the bichir might be able to get them, do you think itd be safe?

• Like 1

Yeah, lots of factors to consider.   Depending on size of bichir now, what you feed and size of pearl gourami you can find could work.  The pearls i have now hang out more mid to upper level  in water column.  When I had a bichir I never fed live foods other than the occasional earthworm. I had a school of giant danios but they are fast swimmers.  A geophagus might be an option for you depending on the type of substrate you have.  They might dig up your plants unless you have them secured by other means.