Java Fern Sharp Edges Scrape fish?

Wondering if I should take my widelov java fern out?  My CPD got overly excited for food and was swimming through it.  I noticed some scrapes on the top of her.  Is this something to worry about?  I think this happened one other time with a different one and took a couple weeks to heal. Any insights would be appreciated.  

• Like 1

Live plants cannot harm your fish that bad. Windelov might look sharp, but my fish swam through it a ton, and no problems. Is there any sharp decor or fake plants as well with the live plants? Some decor can have very sharp edges. But no i highly doubt the java fern has anything to do with this.

On 7/15/2024 at 4:25 AM, johnnyxxl said:

Very doubtful that it's because of your plants.  More likely something else that your fish scraping against.

Yes agreed. @reikirita

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 7:52 AM, mynameisnobody said:

That Java fern should be dubbed the samurai. 

Yeah, I am pretty sure it’s the culprit.  Everything else is soft and no edges.  But I will keep an eye on it.  CPDs can be quite wiggly!

On 7/15/2024 at 5:46 PM, reikirita said:

Yeah, I am pretty sure it’s the culprit.  Everything else is soft and no edges.  But I will keep an eye on it.  CPDs can be quite wiggly!

Ya must be. Wow, should go to this year’s Olympic Games, probably will win the fencing championship if they have one 😂

I have Java fern of one or more variety (including Windelov and several that look sharper than that) in over half of my 26 tanks and I’ve never seen wounds on any fish that I remotely suspected were from the Java ferns.  Of course I can’t guarantee it, but it’s incredibly unlikely.  Far more likely to be from whatever the Java fern is attached to, from something else in the tank, or from each other.

Posting pics of the tank might help us identify other possibly sources for you.

• Like 3