5 Gallon Betta Tank

Hello all,

I have a 5 gallon tank with dear old Comet, a Black Samurai Betta, 6 Pygmy Coreys, a few Rudolph Shrimp and Assassin Snails. I am curious based upon the pictures if anyone has any feedback of the tank? Any plant or layout suggestions that would benefit the fish?

And old Comet has developed a legit case of diamond eye, he is a nice fellow though. I have never seen any issues with the Pygmy Coreys or shrimp.

5 Gallon 1.jpg

5 Gallon 2.jpg

It's genetic causes scales to overgrow the eye that any unwanted trait caused by breeders there's no treatment the fish usually goes blind in one or both eyes 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 3

On 7/12/2024 at 9:34 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The tank looks nice. How are the parameters:  ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Tagging @Colu to see if they know of a treatment for the eye.

Thank you for the responses guys! Comet was practically dead at the fish store when I decided to buy him. I remember the first time I fed him frozen brine shrimp he went absolutely nuts.

My water parameters are:

pH: 7.6
Nitrates: 10ppm
Hardness: 300
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
KH/Buffer: 8
Water Temperature: 78

Yeah unfortunately there is no cure for Diamond Eye like Colu said. I normally feed Comet in the same corner during feeding time so he is somewhat trained where to go to eat. I believe he can only see shadows because he can still accurately pick up food and react to me.

On 7/13/2024 at 8:21 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I think the tank is great! I wouldn't put too much to get in his way since he probably can't see/see very well. I'd also make sure the surface of the tank's water is clear for him to get to since they are air breathing fish. 

I agree. You can hear him when he smacks his lips on the surface to eat and what not. It is so cool lol.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 12:19 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

the tank looks beautiful so does the fish! I see no reason to change unless you want 

I genuinely appreciate that! I will probably just maintain the tank and good water quality for the fish. They seem to be doing very well!

• Like 2