Mystery Snail Concerns

Spaghider

Been pretty concerned about my Golden Mystery Snail, Jiji, recently. I would be DEVESTATED to lose him, so I want to know if there’s currently something wrong.

1: His shell has shown erosion, but I dose a lot of calcium? Is there something else to should be doing (this was present before, and he acted fine, but I’m still worried)

2: He’s been VERY letheragic recently. I put him on a new tank 2 days ago, and he’s done nothing but move between 2 spots or stay still.

3: He also hasn’t eaten much. The last time I saw him eat was about a day ago.

4: There’s algae on his shell. I’m 99% percent sure this is perfectly healthy, but I wanna include everything. (Also present before)

5: I tried to take him off the glass for an air bathe, but he was reluctant to come off, which was unusual. I eventually gave up, not wanting to hurt him.

PH: 7.5

GH: 9dH

Ammonia + Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: ~10

image.jpg

Edited by Spaghider

I have never owned a Mystery Snail, but about a month ago, my Nerite Snail was experiencing a similar problem. It had algae on its shell, wouldn't move, and wouldn't eat. Here is what I think.

1. Snails will probably need minerals in the tank, but your GH looks good. However, you might want to consider raising the pH, because I am pretty sure that snails will like higher pH, GH, and KH. Don't do this immediately, though. Double check with research or another forum member. What other fish do you have?

2. He might still be stressed about the move, I don't know about Mystery, but Nerite snails' schedules can be a little different when they settle down in a new environment, and they might go completely lethargic for a few weeks.

3. Do you have a lot of algae in your tank, or barely any? One of the causes for snail inactivity is that they don't have enough food. Even if you do offer other foods, snails usually prefer natural algae, rather than processed algae.

4. I can't back up this idea, but maybe the algae might be slowing him down. Happened to my Nerite, and I tried to get it off. It worked, and made him move faster, but stressed him out a little, so don't try it.

5. If your snail is reluctant to come off the glass, that is a good sign that he is still alive and strong, because I am pretty sure they will lose their grip when they die.

On 7/12/2024 at 7:21 PM, Colu said:

What's your KH. and  what are you  feeding and how often how long have you had the mystery snail 

Kinda of embarrassing, but I actually don’t know. (presumably low, I never dosed Lh supplement since I thought equilibrium provided it) I don’t have a Gh  or Kh testing kit (I am very confident it’s at least 9dgH though, I dose the proper amount + a little extra), and I always assumed that Kh wasn’t necessary for fish and inverts. Would low Kh affect him?

As for food, I’ve had Jiji for 4 months, and I typically feed her crab cuisine and fresh algae, with the occasional egg based snello or cucumber.

On 7/12/2024 at 10:11 PM, Guupy42 said:

2. He might still be stressed about the move, I don't know about Mystery, but Nerite snails' schedules can be a little different when they settle down in a new environment, and they might go completely lethargic for a few weeks.

3. Do you have a lot of algae in your tank, or barely any? One of the causes for snail inactivity is that they don't have enough food. Even if you do offer other foods, snails usually prefer natural algae, rather than processed algae.

I really think he was just stressed, he’s been more active today and last night. I also transferred some algae from his  old tank to her new tank, and he took to it IMMEDIATELY. I’ll also try raising the Ph, Gh, and Kh, for his shell. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 4:25 PM, Spaghider said:

Kinda of embarrassing, but I actually don’t know. (presumably low, I never dosed Lh supplement since I thought equilibrium provided it) I don’t have a Gh  or Kh testing kit (I am very confident it’s at least 9dgH though, I dose the proper amount + a little extra), and I always assumed that Kh wasn’t necessary for fish and inverts. Would low Kh affect him?

As for food, I’ve had Jiji for 4 months, and I typically feed her crab cuisine and fresh algae, with the occasional egg based snello or cucumber.

Low KH can effect shell growth I would definitely invest in a KH and GH test kit or test strips 

On 7/13/2024 at 6:29 PM, Colu said:

Low KH can effect shell growth I would definitely invest in a KH and GH test kit or test strips 

Alright, I’ll definitely do it. Should I get with the Co-Op Strips or the api test kit?

On 7/14/2024 at 2:45 PM, Spaghider said:

Alright, I’ll definitely do it. Should I get with the Co-Op Strips or the api test kit?

Liquid test kits are more accurate the test strips are quick and will give your a good Idea of what you KH and GH is and are better value

Edited by Colu