Help with porthos plants

I have my hob plant holders. From what I can tell it looks like I can get the plants at walmart lowes home depot. Then seperate them wash off all the dirt stick just the roots in the water. If that is wrong let me know. Now what do I need to feed them if anything that will not hurt my pleco or Oscar? I'm do for a water change for nitrates should I wait and let the plants work on them they are at about 15ppm. Is it just that simple. I've never grown live plants. My main concern is to not put anything in the water that would hurt the fish. I'm mounting some lattice work on the wall for the plants to climb on.

This is from a google search

While pothos plants can grow underwater. Mine will be out of the water just the roots in the water they are not aquatic plants. Most aquarium plants do best in water with a pH between 6.5 and 7.8, a general hardness of 50–100 ppm, and alkalinity between 3° and 8° dKH (54–140 ppm). Pothos plants, however, prefer a slightly acidic pH of 6.1–6.5, but can tolerate values that are slightly above or below this range. My pH is steady at 7.6 I don't want to move this just for plants.

Thank for any imput.

• Like 1

This is a peace lily but same concept. You can rinse them and wok for a day or so to release the dirt. You can do your water change it will take a bit for the pothos to grow submerged roots that can effectively take up a significant amount of nitrate.  Depending on the size of the pothos you can also just take cuttings and stick them in. 
You want 5 leaves. The two closest to the cut get removed. The cut should be at a spot that is already sprouting seeker roots. 
They should do fine without feeding. I don’t use fertilizer at all. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It really is that simple! Rinse off all the dirt, and stick that bad boy in the tank. 

As it grows it will need more food. My Pothos vine has been growing for years, is over 20’ long, and I give the tank a double dose of Easy Green on maintenance day, and then another little dose on Saturday. 

IMG_7533.jpeg.914d4b0209acf50ef9cbab9f544badcd.jpeg
The roots in the Blackwater tank it started in. 
IMG_7534.jpeg.77ad17c14f12f125cbcba661eeea2ec3.jpeg

Giant Pothos vine that has now almost made a full lap. 6’ to the right, 3 or 4’ up to the next shelf of tanks, 6’ to the left back across the tanks pictured here, and now it’s starting to come down to the original starting point. This vine is nearly 20’ long now!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Thanks to all of you

Guppysnail 

You want 5 leaves. The two closest to the cut get removed. The cut should be at a spot that is already sprouting seeker roots. Not to sure about this?? The youtube I watched they were in a pot of dirt and the guy pulled them all out and then pulled them apart from each other hosed them down to get all the dirt off then stuck eash one in there little holder. I think you might be talking about ones that are a vine is that correct? You can rinse them and wok for a day or so to release the dirt. Not sure what wok them means.

I like the look of the tank on the left plants going up the wall. That is where I will mount some 4ft.x4ft cedar lattice panel

AllFishNoBrakes

Holy porthos BatMan.

mynameisnobody

OK I will keep on with normal water care. My tank is getting pretty stable Started in Jan. cycled at end of April. Lost my first Oscar he went overboard while I went to start my python I thought he was hiding as usual during wc. After I filled the tank I found  him under the stand. Got another two weeks ago. Now I don't walk off until the water is half way down.

Thanks for all the help guys

• Like 3

Wok is my lousy typing I meant soak.  Yes the rinse the roots is a valid method. Cuttings are another valid propagation method to get more than just 1 plant. Removing the bottom 2 leaves encourages the plants to grow roots and gives a piece to stick in the water. 

On 7/10/2024 at 9:27 PM, Guppysnail said:

Wok is my lousy typing I meant soak.  Yes the rinse the roots is a valid method. Cuttings are another valid propagation method to get more than just 1 plant. Removing the bottom 2 leaves encourages the plants to grow roots and gives a piece to stick in the water. 

Glad to hear I don't need the wok, mine is cast iron.   Please tell me a little more about peace lilies in the aquarium.  I attempted to keep them in pots long ago, but was told that they don't like their feet wet and I was overwatering.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 11:28 AM, Tanked said:

Glad to hear I don't need the wok, mine is cast iron.   Please tell me a little more about peace lilies in the aquarium.  I attempted to keep them in pots long ago, but was told that they don't like their feet wet and I was overwatering.

Here are some of mine. Peace lily in pots have roots that are designed to withstand drying out.  When those roots soak in the stagnant unoxygenated water at the bottom of an undrained pot they rot.  
The difference in a tank is fresh oxygenated water. The roots will adapt easily to grow in tanks. 
For what it’s worth I’ve killed many potted peace lilies 🫣

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2024 at 5:25 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

I'm starting to like those also might mix them together. Do they ever have flowers?

Oh yes all the time. Mine just finished this flowering cycle so this is the last and it’s in the green side.  The outside shell is usually paper white and stunning. I’ll try to look through my photos for them in bloom 

18F327BB-2132-49A8-AFCD-9ECDDEE29D7D.jpeg

Here is one from the new plants I have in the WOK soaking 🤣🤣🤣

4D80EF01-99FD-4C13-B323-76255C2EF76C.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2024 at 11:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

For what it’s worth I’ve killed many potted peace lilies

I was always told that the leaves would tell me what the lilies needed.  I never got the message.

I've been wanting to try them for awhile; hopefully, room light is adequate.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 9:29 AM, Tanked said:

I was always told that the leaves would tell me what the lilies needed.  I never got the message.

I've been wanting to try them for awhile; hopefully, room light is adequate.

These are very popular in office settings potted because they will grow even in weak fluorescent lighting.  Obviously the more light they get the better they grow but in a tank if the light is stronger than the amount of nutrients available they will show signs of deficiency 

• Like 1