Guppy growing a hump and curved tail getting worse?

Posted (edited)

She has started growing some kind of hump on her back. Her back used to be straight and her tail did have a slight downwards curve but it was never that curved as it is in the photo.

My water parameters recently spiked a bit as a lot of baby guppies died, like 8 at once, due to cannibalism and they remained in the water a while because I didn't see them.

After a water change, the parameters are (API test kit):

Nitrate - 40 ppm

Nitrite - 0.5 ppm

Ammonia - ~0 ppm (it's pretty yellow, but might be slightly green, so pretty close to 0 ppm but not completely 0 ppm, definitely less than 0.25 ppm)

pH - 7.8

Via water test strip:

GH- ~150-200 ppm

TA- ~120 ppm

KH - 120 ppm

Here is a video of the guppy during feeding time.

https://imgur.com/a/gc1YwM5

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with the guppy. I did have another guppy that this happened to with the growth that did die. I treated that one with aquarium salt for a week and for two days kanamycin (kanaplex). It got better with the aquarium salt as in it was able to swim again and stopped flopping around, but was unable to swim under the water and only stayed at the surface.

Another male guppy has its tail ripped looking so I thought it might be some sort of bacterial infection in the tank, so I treated it with kanamycin (kanaplex) for nine days and gradually increased the tank temperature from 73°F to 77°F during that time.

I believe the cause may be issues due to the water parameters as I was originally using test strips to check the water and the levels seemed fine, until I used the test kit that showed it was not as fine as I thought. I will be performing a water change in the morning and moving that ailing guppy to a separate bucket of clean water for the night.

Screenshot_20240706-230826_Moto App Launcher.png

Screenshot_20240706-230826_Moto App Launcher~3.png

Edited by Thundercracker
Corrected medication name

Posted (edited)

Looks like scoliosis it's more commonly seen in guppies with long tails treatment wise there's nothing you can do if you think he's suffering then I would consider humanly euthanizing with clove oil 

1000000136.png

1000000118.png

Edited by Colu

Posted (edited)

Your water parameters are not really going to do this. It’s more of a genetic issue. Or an old age thing 

On 7/7/2024 at 3:39 AM, Thundercracker said:

My water parameters recently spiked a bit as a lot of baby guppies died, like 8 at once, due to cannibalism and they remained in the water a while because I didn't see them.

You could add in some floating hornwort, or water sprite. Both are voracious eaters of all of the nitrogen compounds. And they would give the fry a lot of cover. Hornwort can look a bit jungley. But grows extremely fast, and if it over grows, just rip off what you don’t want and chuck it. The rest will be fine.

Edited by Tony s