Uses for rolled cotton gauze??

Can I use rolled cotton gauze as bio-filter material in my HOB? And/or in the containers holding my filter plants?

I am only asking because I have a HUGE supply of this stuff.  I keep telling the V.A. to not send anymore but they continue to include it with every wound care restock order. So, rather than toss it, I am exploring other uses.

I am open to any other ideas that occur to you on how these could be used.

On 6/26/2024 at 11:11 AM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

Can I use rolled cotton gauze as bio-filter material in my HOB? And/or in the containers holding my filter plants?

I am only asking because I have a HUGE supply of this stuff.  I keep telling the V.A. to not send anymore but they continue to include it with every wound care restock order. So, rather than toss it, I am exploring other uses.

I am open to any other ideas that occur to you on how these could be used.

My hunch is that in order to have enough surface area to hold a good colony of bacteria, you'd have to have enough layers that it unacceptably slow the flow, but I'm just speculating. It sounds like it could be a very nice filter floss alternative for mechanical filtration, though.

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered that cotton biodegrades in water. So it might end up making a mess unless you've only got it in long enough to filter out fine particles and then remove it before it becomes fine particles! If you end up experimenting with it, please let us know how it goes?

Edited by Rube_Goldfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 11:46 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

My hunch is that in order to have enough surface area to hold a good colony of bacteria, you'd have to have enough layers that it unacceptably slow the flow, but I'm just speculating. It sounds like it could be a very nice filter floss alternative for mechanical filtration, though.

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered that cotton biodegrades in water. So it might end up making a mess unless you've only got it in long enough to filter out fine particles and then remove it before it becomes fine particles! If you end up experimenting with it, please let us know how it goes?

Material such as poly fill, filter floss, are mainly used for mechanical filtration. Also would need to be replaced. I suggest a aquarium pads that can be cut to size.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, Tlindsey said:

Material such as poly fill, filter floss, are mainly used for mechanical filtration. Also would need to be replaced. I suggest a aquarium pads that can be cut to size.

If I were buying the stuff, yes. But, I have an overabundance of cotton gauze so replacing it is not a negative. If it can work as mechanical filtration, then at least it serves a purpose before being thrown away.

On 6/26/2024 at 11:46 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Oh, that is a good point! 

So, the question becomes, "how long would this gauze hold up before it turned into a nightmare?!"

Seeing as this gauze is meant for temporary use in wound care, it isn't expected to see extended use. It is absorbent but ... 🤔 

If I can think of a way to experiment without risking a tank crash, I will keep y'all posted.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 2:45 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

It doesn't help your fishkeeping, but I guess you could just donate it to a local clinic or school or hospital or something?

I have tried but they can't accept it. 🤔

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 8:21 PM, FLFishChik said:

Humane Societies and Rescues are always in need of  medical supplies.  Maybe donate to them if you have one nearby!

I hadn't thought of that! I will check with those!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Galabar with the thickness of gauze, it would literally do close to nothing before become too dirty for water to pass through it. Also it will break down, and fall into the aquarium in pieces. This is sort of like, you can make a pizza with a match, but you probably shouldn’t. 

Hmm.  I used cotton in my hardscape project, and the thought did cross my mind that it is biodegradable.  But it's getting coated in superglue...   

How long until my underwater construction projects collapse?  

Cotton won’t last long in an aquarium / filter since each strand is so fine it will biodegrade quickly.  Cotton thread used for tying moss or plants to wood or rocks degrades quickly enough the moss / plants don’t always have enough time to attach themselves before the thread has degraded.  If you change it every week or less it would probably work great for clarifying water.

I would reach out to vet clinics and humane societies / rescues.  Vet clinics and humane societies are much more likely to accept donated supplies since they often are running on a thin thread of profitability / survival.  Plus if the vet clinic doesn’t need as much as you have, they will often then donate the extra to a humane society or rescue.

• Like 2