Chili radboras dying

Cycled 10g tank ( planted )x month before fish added. 

15 ordered from LFS CHILIS. Day one all survived. Day 2- 2 died. day 3 one died. 
half carcas seen of fourth😓. 

Amano shrimp(5) seem to be clean up crew bc now I only see 7 surviving CHILIS.

one is being a “loner” which doesn’t bode well. 
Water parameters been good all along. 
hoping i end up with 6/15.

anyone w experience on these ?

this new set up has been a bit of a trial. 
Thanks even if just support. image.jpg.a1bc51d462147bea2b3be42dd88853c0.jpgimage.jpg.a1bc51d462147bea2b3be42dd88853c0.jpg

image.jpg

Are you injecting CO2, or is it just an airstone?

Like @Maximus said - what are your parameters? When you say cycled - did you have algae or plants growing before adding any fish?

I have Chilis in my 20g long. They like little to no flow, and lots of plants.....and most importantly, imo - VERY slow sinking food.

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

0 nitrates 0 nitrites  0 ammonia 

GH 75

KH 40

pH 6.8-7

Zero chlorine 

temp stable at 79

photos showing plants/ diatom algae, some other algae started. 
powdered up nano pellets to feed lightly

the Amano shrimp added same day are thriving ( so far)

Air stone and a sponge filter. 

Floated bag( which was rather cool when I brought from LFS bc the shipment came in to them apparently unexpectedly. The water they were in had a blue tint. The shrimp bag was clear. 

I transferred fish / water after floating bag 40 min, to a big catch cup, added a little tank water for a short time, then netted them out of that blue water into tank. Prob too harsh transition???

On 6/23/2024 at 6:30 PM, Potterygal said:

The water they were in had a blue tint.

This seems odd. I don't have any experience shipping fish, but blue water isn't something I've seen outside of using methylene blue. Floating for 40 mins seems plenty for the temp to adjust.

Thank you for info on this. If these remaining 6-7 survive for a reasonable time, I may order a few more from Dans Fish that AC recommends as very reputable, good reviews. I’d like a school of 10-12  in this single species set up.( well , plus my Amanos) 

Chili’s are fun little fish. I started with 20 or 22 in my 20 gallon long. I’ve had them for over a year now, and have lost a couple. Just last week my new batch finished quarantine and got moved in with their older buddies. Fun little fish with beautiful color when they grow out and color up. 

• Like 1

FWIW, if this is a species specific tank (apart from Amanos) then a surviving group of 6-7 is very likely to have both males and females, and you could try spawning them (might take a while, though).

On 6/24/2024 at 6:55 AM, Maximus said:

FWIW, if this is a species specific tank (apart from Amanos) then a surviving group of 6-7 is very likely to have both males and females, and you could try spawning them (might take a while, though).

I really want to try this, but I am worried their eggs will slip through the silicon-oxide molecular network of the glass and fall out of the tank.  

@daggaz wow I never would have thought of that possible scenario with those micro eggs. 
I’ll go one step at a time and hoping for a sighting of still 7 when I go up to studio to check on/ feed my sweet chilis in a few minutes. 

Fish are often fasted before shipping. Sometimes for as much as two weeks before shipping. Little fish have fewer fat/calorie reserves, so they tend to have a harder time recovering after an extended fast. Wild-caught fish tend not to be chubby, so an extended fast can be especially harmful. And fish like the smaller rasboras, CPDs, and the like need really small food that hangs around a bit. Frozen or live baby brine is a good option as are some of the micro pellets.

Something small like a single ich organism, which a bigger fish won't even notice can be a bigger problem for a smaller fish and cause substantial stress on them. A three-foot-long koi may not notice a single ich on them, but for a chili rasbora, it can be significant. In human terms, a tick might be the equivalent of a single ich on a big fish. You can carry around a tick all day and not even notice it. For a smaller fish it could be like a pit bull chomping on a human leg. You definitely notice it and are concerned about it.

Nano fish are great, but they have special needs in terms of diet and are less able to endure certain hardships. 

All great points of info @gardenman. I have been crushing nano pellets into powder and it disperses slowly thru water column. I try not to overdo it tho. The shrimp notice and start to scurry at bottom for fall off. Would you recommend 2 or 3 times a day small feedings at this point? I don’t want to kill with kindness if you know what I mean. There’s biofilm on the spider wood and a good amount of plants. I have frozen bloodworms and daphnia but not sure best way to do those. They seem so messy - my betta in a 5 gal loves the treat but not sure about the C rasboras….

I have CPDs and they ignore bloodworms and adult brine shrimp, but feast on the baby brine. Tiny little fish can be challenging to feed. I'll feed them three times or so a day, baby brine early, crushed flakes later, or micro pellets.

On 6/24/2024 at 1:03 PM, Potterygal said:

@daggaz wow I never would have thought of that possible scenario with those micro eggs. 
I’ll go one step at a time and hoping for a sighting of still 7 when I go up to studio to check on/ feed my sweet chilis in a few minutes. 

Well I was definitely teasing; they're small but not -that- small.  

If you buy live daphnia, there's usually a ton of micro sized juveniles in with the adults.  My nano fish gobble 'em up and leave the big boys to the catfish. 

On 6/24/2024 at 5:09 PM, gardenman said:

I have CPDs and they ignore bloodworms and adult brine shrimp, but feast on the baby brine. Tiny little fish can be challenging to feed. I'll feed them three times or so a day, baby brine early, crushed flakes later, or micro pellets.

My CPDs also ignore bloodworms. 

Haha. I’ll try to source live daphnia. 
well, …. And then there were 6. 
they are all feeding well and look active and a few are just starting to get a bit more color. They’ve had a tough start. 
I’ll order 6 more from Dans in a month or so. 

On 6/24/2024 at 1:29 PM, Potterygal said:

Good to know. Do you hatch your own baby brine? I’m not too familiar w live food yet but I’ll research it. Thank you. 
(72 and still living to learn!)

I buy the San Francisco Bay brand frozen baby brine in the 36-pack mini-cubes and then just use half of each cube at a time, so I get 72 days of food from one pack of frozen food. I'm just feeding seven CPDs and assorted snails, so they don't need a lot of food. Anything bigger in the way of food they just watch float by them. Bloodworms are too big for them as are adult brine shrimp. I take a very small pinch of flake food and crush in in my hand and sprinkle that in and I'm also using the Ultra Fresh Shrimp Delight Micro-pellets for them. 

On 6/23/2024 at 10:29 PM, Maximus said:

This seems odd. I don't have any experience shipping fish, but blue water isn't something I've seen outside of using methylene blue. Floating for 40 mins seems plenty for the temp to adjust.

That's meth blue, a lot of places use it.just like the places that use the leaves for shipping fish it helps prevent infections etc during the stress from shipping