Best way to "re-glue" hardscape

Cajo

I was uprooting some plants in my 3-month old tank and my I was unaware that my arm was putting pressure on my drift wood and it came loose (was attached by hardscape glue and tissue). This is my first tank and I am new to the hobby so perhaps the way I glued it initially was inadequate in the first place. What is the best way to "re-glue" the wood to my stones without having to redo the tank/scape?

I was thinking of draining my tank until the attachment points (the attachment points are easily accessible) are above-water and glue it w/ tissue again and refill the tank after an hour or so to allow it to dry. Is this the right way to do it? Is it ok to glue it while the stone and wood are still wet?

Edited by Cajo
Missing points/grammar corrections

On 6/16/2024 at 10:46 AM, Tony s said:

@Katherine Ha. And here I am floating a Java fern and anubias. Because I wasn’t sure how to get it stuck on when both the plants and targets are wet

I sometimes use MD Fish Tanks's trick of gluing a small rock to the roots of an epiphyte, just enough to weigh it down, then place it wherever I want. The rock holds it down and the plant eventually roots in.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2024 at 8:02 AM, Cajo said:

I was uprooting some plants in my 3-month old tank and my I was unaware that my arm was putting pressure on my drift wood and it came loose (was attached by hardscape glue and tissue). This is my first tank and I am new to the hobby so perhaps the way I glued it initially was inadequate in the first place. What is the best way to "re-glue" the wood to my stones without having to redo the tank/scape?

I was thinking of draining my tank until the attachment points (the attachment points are easily accessible) are above-water and glue it w/ tissue again and refill the tank after an hour or so to allow it to dry. Is this the right way to do it? Is it ok to glue it while the stone and wood are still wet?

Is it still trying to float?  If not let it be 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 10:18 PM, Katherine said:

Super glue will dry faster when wet. So if you do it while they're still wet you have to be fast.

Glad to hear that they would work when wet. I guess I'd use one then so that I can water back in fast and prevent my plants from drying up. Thanks a lot!

On 6/16/2024 at 11:34 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Super glue or coral glue will do the trick! 

Wear gloves with coral glue it is sticky and it can cure while fully submerged which is a plus if you don’t want to disturb the tank too much

That's cool, I haven't heard of coral glue yet. Sounds handy if it still cures while fully submerged. I'd use super glue for now but I'd try to get my hands on a coral glue for future projects/problems. Thanks!

On 6/17/2024 at 12:13 AM, johnnyxxl said:

Is it still trying to float?  If not let it be 

That was my original plan since it didn't float. Problem was it was swaying a bit with the flow from my HOB, and the epiphytes that I stuck between the gaps came loose. I think it's necessary to glue it back if I want to keep my current scape.