Acclimate Shrimp or plop and drop?

In the past I have always drip acclimated my shrimp. I always seem to have many fatalities. 

I have seen in a few videos that a plop and drop is better. In one video, people commented and said they plopped and dropped the shrimp and had very little to no fatalities compared to drip acclimation. 

What do you all do?

A lot of people might get away with plop and drop of neos, especially if bought locally with similar water, but the safest way is drip acclimation.

Would be interesting to understand the timeline of when the shrimp have died in the past attempts, and how you've been drimp acclimating, maybe there is something that can be changed to help them survive.

• Thanks 1

What kind of shrimp specifically?  Neocaridina or Caridina?

Minimally, I would temperature acclimate them. 

Some caridina species can be a bit intolerant of massive sudden swings in water parameters.  Neocaridina are much more forgiving.

On 6/5/2024 at 1:22 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

"shrimp" is a broad term.  I would never, ever plop and drop shrimp.  I use an air pump, drops of dechloinator, drip acclimate.  It takes zero effort to do and it's easy,

I only plop and drop shrimp when I am moving them around my fishroom. But I have had most of my current lines for years so I'm very familiar with what they can tolerate. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The shrimp in question are cherry shrimp. 

In the past I have dripped them for 1-2 hours. The last batch were yellow shrimp, but I believe they were also stressed from the mail because one bag showed up with very little water. 

On 6/5/2024 at 11:54 AM, Alec said:

The shrimp in question are cherry shrimp. 

In the past I have dripped them for 1-2 hours. The last batch were yellow shrimp, but I believe they were also stressed from the mail because one bag showed up with very little water. 

Depends on bag type. If it was a breather bag, they don't require a lot of water. Shrimp make very little waste, so it's not likely they would pollute a bag during shipping.

Did they die in the bucket within those 1-2 hrs, or after adding to the tank?

You could also try getting a couple of shrimp from a local place and see if you have a different experience.

Or complain to the mail order place, and try a new one.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 5:32 PM, Sacah said:

Did they die in the bucket within those 1-2 hrs, or after adding to the tank?

You could also try getting a couple of shrimp from a local place and see if you have a different experience.

Or complain to the mail order place, and try a new one.

After adding to tank. I made sure to email them. I'm trying some shrimo from someone on the fourm, so hoping for much better luck. 

Good luck with these new ones.

So you drip water from your tank, into the bucket holding these shrimp. After 2hrs of dripping water in, do you tip the bucket back into your tank, or net them and put in your tank?

On 6/5/2024 at 11:54 PM, Sacah said:

Good luck with these new ones.

So you drip water from your tank, into the bucket holding these shrimp. After 2hrs of dripping water in, do you tip the bucket back into your tank, or net them and put in your tank?

I net them back into tank. 

That sounds perfect, so it's either your water parameters or the quality of the shrimp causing the problem. If these new one also have a problem, maybe ask the seller what their PH/GH/KH is and compare to yours.