Community-Curated Aquarium Guide?

On 6/5/2024 at 4:49 PM, Lonkley said:

This problem was solved decades ago. Start a Wikipedia. It has logs of all edits and  by who, and. can be reverted.

Google docs is more for small groups. 

We've already found a solution, thank you.

I think we should include the natural parameters for fish commonly brought from the wild,  for example if people are getting say wild captured discus what are the typical water parameters, versus the captive bred parameters.   Because not everything is able to be found on Google.   

On 6/5/2024 at 6:00 PM, johnnyxxl said:

I think we should include the natural parameters for fish commonly brought from the wild,  for example if people are getting say wild captured discus what are the typical water parameters, versus the captive bred parameters.   Because not everything is able to be found on Google.   

Yes, we should. Check this thread for a link to the doc and leave it as a comment for a reminder.

On 6/6/2024 at 3:04 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I don’t think that’s a bad thing necessarily! Could be really fun to have all the photos brought to you by forum members.

No kidding! I love seeing all the great photography on the forum. Once we have the species laid out, I can post a topic sharing all the photos we need, and members even outside of the project could help!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I sadly am lost on this topic as I have not kept up LOL. So can I PM you and just write the way I would write about the cycle? Or do I do something with docs? Sorry, i am not techy at all sadly LOL, @Kunersbettas

On 6/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, Kunersbettas said:

No kidding! I love seeing all the great photography on the forum. Once we have the species laid out, I can post a topic sharing all the photos we need, and members even outside of the project could help!

I think that would be great!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 5:42 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I sadly am lost on this topic as I have not kept up LOL. So can I PM you and just write the way I would write about the cycle? Or do I do something with docs? Sorry, i am not techy at all sadly LOL, @Kunersbettas

I think that would be great!

You can PM me, I can then punch it into the Docs. I haven't started the documents for the sections yet, but you can still send that sort of thing before that is done.

If I could get an email from everyone who has one, that would greatly assist me.

On 6/6/2024 at 8:50 PM, Kunersbettas said:

You can PM me, I can then punch it into the Docs. I haven't started the documents for the sections yet, but you can still send that sort of thing before that is done.

If I could get an email from everyone who has one, that would greatly assist me.

I will PM u then, i am currently creating it, and should have it done by tomorrow for ya @Kunersbettas!

Thanks! The first paragraphs are looking good! I think that we should have the name/username of the creators/curators of each page at the top portion of their section. Once we get all the text together, I can format it into a book and post screenshots to collect input. Any font suggestions for the book? I thought about using the ones for the forum. Here is @Whitecloud09's intro section, in the CARE font:

Screenshot 2024-06-06 180143.png

• Love 1

On 6/6/2024 at 9:01 PM, Kunersbettas said:

Thanks! The first paragraphs are looking good! I think that we should have the name/username of the creators/curators of each page at the top portion of their section. Once we get all the text together, I can format it into a book and post screenshots to collect input. Any font suggestions for the book? I thought about using the ones for the forum. Here is @Whitecloud09's intro section, in the CARE font:

Screenshot 2024-06-06 180143.png

Perfect! So i will add this to my thing i am doing? I am so sorry i am very tired and i am trying to understand, but i guess i might go to bed then read this LOLZ

Oh this is an example of what i should do for my intro? Oooooooooooh. So i should just make my own guide on how to setup an aquarium? I could do that part of the book if that works for you!!! @Kunersbettas

On 6/6/2024 at 6:04 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Perfect! So i will add this to my thing i am doing? I am so sorry i am very tired and i am trying to understand, but i guess i might go to bed then read this LOLZ

Oh this is an example of what i should do for my intro? Oooooooooooh. So i should just make my own guide on how to setup an aquarium? I could do that part of the book if that works for you!!! @Kunersbettas

Sorry, my mistake. This was @Guupy42's work. You don't have to write an intro!

On 6/6/2024 at 6:07 PM, Kunersbettas said:

Sorry, my mistake. This was @Guupy42's work. You don't have to write an intro!

I'm so sorry! I got confused because @Guupy42 and @Whitecloud09 send me their sections via PM. You don't have to write an intro! Just write whatever you wanted to write!

On 6/6/2024 at 6:09 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

OH ok. That is fine. your fine. Got it. So i will just focus on the cycle part of this book then if that suits u

Great! I'm so sorry. I was a little confused there 🙃

• Like 1

Could someone send species that they think should get a section for these categories? I filled in the rainbowfish section. Make sure to make mention of any species you think should be excluded/included!

-Livebearers

-Tetras

-Barbs (Rasboras)

-Algae Eaters and Plecos

-Corydoras and other Catfish

-Loaches

-Gobies and Gudgeons

-South American Cichlids

-African Cichlids

-Labyrinth Fish

-Rainbowfish: Dwarf Neon, Forktail/Celebes, Bosemani, Turquoise, Emerald, Red, Irian Red, Madagascar, Misc. Blue-Eyes, Parkinsoni, Yellow/Banded.

-Oddballs

-Shrimp

-Snail

@Kunersbettas 

Under the section Livebearers I would put Mollies, Platies, Swordtails, Guppies, and Endlers Livebearers this kinda covers all the bases of the more common livebearers you would find in a pet store.

Under Labyrinth fish I would put Bettas and Gouramis again fish that most beginners will encounter quickly in the hobby you could also divide the section for bettas into mouthbrooding bettas and bubble nesters which could add variety for some more experienced beginners that want something unique.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 9:55 PM, Kunersbettas said:

Could someone send species that they think should get a section for these categories? I filled in the rainbowfish section. Make sure to make mention of any species you think should be excluded/included!

The only species I have experience with are Endler's Guppies and Guppies, so i can do the livebearers section, but someone else should do the other fishes.

-Livebearers: Guppies, Platies, Mollies, Swordtails, Endlers Livebearer / Guppy, Mosquitofish, Killifish (But I don't know about them)

More Livebearers: https://www.aquariumnexus.com/livebearing-tropical-fish/

These are some of the most popular or ones that I know of, but if anyone wants to add anything they have experience with such as the Pike Livebearer, which I don't even know what it looks like, feel free to add it to this list.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 4:12 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Kunersbettas a betta section would be nice. And i have have lots of experince with one if that works for you!

I categorized them with labyrinth fish. I have already written a section on bettas, but if you'd like to, by all means, go ahead! Here is my section:

Betta (Betta Splendens)
Native to: Thailand and surrounding countries.
Ease of care: Easy, males should be kept alone.
Length: 2.5 in. (6 cm.) 
Minimum Tank Size: 5 gallons for a single male or female, 20+ gallons for a group of females.
Temp: 72 - 78 Fo (22 - 25 Co)
Ph: 6.5 to 7.5, can be kept in harder water with Indian Almond leaves.
Aggression: Males are very aggressive towards each other, Females are semi-aggressive, if you keep multiple, you must have 4 or more.

Is it pronounced Bay-tah or Bet-ah? (I think it's Bay-tah, but that's not important). The betta has exploded in popularity over the years, going from just veiltailed, red or blue varieties to hundreds of color morphs, including mustard gas, black samurai, koi, and galaxy, and a wide selection of fin types, including half-moon, plakat, crowntail, double tail, and elephant ear. There are even giant bettas, which can reach up to half a foot! The possibilities are endless!

Bettas tend to be very aggressive, especially the males. For that reason, males should not be kept with other males, and they are best kept alone. A good target size for a single-betta tank is 5 gallons. Females can be kept together, provided the tank is large enough, and has enough cover. The tank should be planted, and the lower the flow, the better. The tank should be at least 20 gallons for a group of 4-6, with peaceful cleanup fish, such as Corydoras or Otocinculus, and peaceful schooling fish, such as Cardinal Tetras. Do not house bettas with fin-nipping fish. These fish need easy access to the surface to breathe atmospheric air, and they like to have floating plants. 

Male bettas can be identified by their pelvic (lower) fin. The males will have a longer pelvic fin that extends past the tail fin, and females with have shorter pelvic fins that do not extend past the tail. Females tend to be a bit more plump than the males, and they do not build bubble nests. Do not keep bettas with shrimp, because they will eat babies and sometimes even the adults!

On 6/6/2024 at 8:22 PM, Guupy42 said:

The only species I have experience with are Endler's Guppies and Guppies, so i can do the livebearers section, but someone else should do the other fishes.

-Livebearers: Guppies, Platies, Mollies, Swordtails, Endlers Livebearer / Guppy, Mosquitofish, Killifish (But I don't know about them)

More Livebearers: https://www.aquariumnexus.com/livebearing-tropical-fish/

These are some of the most popular or ones that I know of, but if anyone wants to add anything they have experience with such as the Pike Livebearer, which I don't even know what it looks like, feel free to add it to this list.

I think for the sake of not confusing readers too much, we should put the silver halfbeak in, but with the oddballs. Otherwise, we should stick to the 5 common ones: Guppies, Endlers, Mollies, Swordtails, and Platies, as well as maybe the American Flagfish.

• Like 2

Hey everybody! I've got an important question: What size should the physical book be?

5" x 8", 6" x 9", or 8" x 10"?

I think one of the first two would be ideal.

The 5" x 8" would be good for a quick, portable guide, 6" x 9" is better for more photos.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:20 PM, Kunersbettas said:

Hey everybody! I've got an important question: What size should the physical book be?

5" x 8", 6" x 9", or 8" x 10"?

I think one of the first two would be ideal.

The 5" x 8" would be good for a quick, portable guide, 6" x 9" is better for more photos.

6x9 sounds great! @Kunersbettas imo

I am going to make something on google docs to start on the cycle part of this book. Then i will give you the link! I should have it done in the next week, sorry i was very busy today and i am finally starting to work on it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh here it is, i forgot i made this last week lol. This is the guide, i tried so hard to not make any errors. But yeah here it is!!!!!! It has been a crazy week, but i tried very hard, i got some pictures from the internet and copied only about 7  sentences of stuff i found and thought i would include. Is that to many? Should i edit more? To many things from the internet. I still put a lot of my writing in there trust me.

Edited by Whitecloud09
added info
  • Like 1