Fluval 407 for 55g?

So right now I have a Fluval 407 for my 55g. It's got a lot of plants and isn't hugely overstocked. But I was wondering if it would be ok if it was just this filter alone.

I have a Aquarium Coop large sponge filter in there as well....but even after cleaning it just doesn't do much, so I was going to replace it with a air stone.

Do you think it'd be ok? Im not SUPER stocked I have 10 corys a few loaches 1 whiptail cat and 2 Raphael cats (and 6 serpae tetras) so there isn't a TON of waste.

I’d leave the sponge in. Not for any filtration. Leaving it in and going keeps it full of beneficial bacteria. Then if needed you could use it for a quarantine tank. Or even starting a new tank. Just lots of ways to use a seeded sponge 

I currently have 2 spares. Had 3, but instantly cycled a new guppy tank with one.

• Like 2

I guess a follow up question would be if there are any other sponge filters people like? I just sadly haven't had good lucky with this one. Maybe a smaller one would suffice (this one is a large)

On 6/4/2024 at 10:50 PM, Mercfh said:

I guess a follow up question would be if there are any other sponge filters people like? I just sadly haven't had good lucky with this one. Maybe a smaller one would suffice (this one is a large)

The ac coop sponge doesn't really do mechanical filtering, especially if you have another finer filter running. It's mostly biological. And one sponge in a 55 gallon just really isn't a huge amount of flow either. I keep both a sponge and a finer internal fine pore filter in my tanks and it seems to work great. That way if I clean out one the other has all the bacteria in it still. Best of both worlds. 

On 6/2/2024 at 7:31 PM, Mercfh said:

o right now I have a Fluval 407 for my 55g. It's got a lot of plants and isn't hugely overstocked. But I was wondering if it would be ok if it was just this filter alone.

I use one on a 75G.  That filter is designed 100000000% for use on a 55G tank long term.  All the parts "fit" that size tank rim and so on.