Severum Help!

J3azy

Can someone help diagnose what’s wrong with my  severum? He stopped eating as aggressively as he used to. I also noticed some redness on his right gill. Is the redness near his gill normal?

PH - 7

Temp - 78

Ammonia/Nitrite- 0.0

Nitrate - 30ppm

IMG_5411.jpeg

IMG_5410.jpeg

Trying to decide if it looks like an injury or bacterial in nature. We’ll ask the expert. @Colu

Besides lack of appetite, anything else your seeing?

On 6/2/2024 at 6:06 PM, J3azy said:

Is the redness near his gill normal

Did you see it before? Or is it new?

On 6/2/2024 at 9:22 PM, J3azy said:

He’s been skittish lately, unlike before. And I hadn’t noticed that redness near his gill til now. Thanks for the reply. 

I suggest getting the Nitrate lower.  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:34 PM, Tlindsey said:

I suggest getting the Nitrate lower. 

That can be harder with these. Basically lawn mowers with fins. 🤣 I have no idea where I heard that description, but I just love it!

any plants would need to be kept in a sump. Which is not actually a bad idea for them.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:42 PM, J3azy said:

I just completed a 50% water change and dosed with paracleanse

Paracleanse may work, not sure if it’s parasitic though. Run the course like it says now. But keep an eye on it. If it gets worse you may need something for bacteria. Maracyn2 or kanaplex for instance.

Good luck on your guy. Those are some I really want to try 😀

On 6/3/2024 at 4:36 AM, J3azy said:

Thanks! I’m trying paracleanse in case it’s gill flukes. I also have kanaplex on hand and will try if it doesn’t get better.

What other fish do you have in tank as this could be an injury due to fighting if you have other cichlids in the tank there can get very aggressive when they want spawn 

Posted (edited)

I have 4 geophagus (2male/2female), 2 bristlenose plecos, 8 sterbai corydoras, and an apistogramma. I previously had a pair of electric blue Acara in the tank. I moved the EBAs out because they kept spawning and were harassing all the fish. 

On 6/3/2024 at 3:30 AM, Colu said:

What other fish do you have in tank as this could be an injury due to fighting if you have other cichlids in the tank there can get very aggressive when they want spawn 

Edited by J3azy

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 1:38 PM, J3azy said:

I have 4 geophagus (2male/2female), 2 bristlenose plecos, 8 sterbai corydoras, and an apistogramma. I previously had a pair of electric blue Acara in the tank. I moved the EBAs out because they kept spawning and were harassing all the fish. 

Are your geophagus showing any sign that they are  ready to spawn 

Edited by Colu

They don’t seem territorial, but have been digging a lot under a of driftwood lately. Two of the females seem to hang out with one of them males. Should I continue with the paracleanse treatment or switch to something for bacterial infections?

On 6/4/2024 at 12:31 AM, J3azy said:

They don’t seem territorial, but have been digging a lot under a of driftwood lately. Two of the females seem to hang out with one of them males. Should I continue with the paracleanse treatment or switch to something for bacterial infections?

What I would do is finish the course of paracleanse I would add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect or you get catappa x it's a liquid extract and won't stain your water brown and monitor  if it starts to get worse then I would quarantine and do a course of kanaplex 

Here’s a photo update. I added the 2nd dose of paracleanse yesterday. Planning a water changer tomorrow per the instructions for the meds. I’m thinking I may want to jump to kanaplex this weekend in case it’s a bacterial issue. I haven’t seen much of an improvement in the gill area, but the severum does seem to be less skittish. I dropped a pinch of food in the tank and he was eating.

IMG_5494.jpeg

IMG_5493.jpeg