Corydoras Sterbai eggs and BBS under the microscope

Here are some shaky videos I took with my phone and a microscope (posted to imgur cause way to big of a file):
Corydoray Sterbai - 3ish days old egg- heartbeat bottom right
Corydoray Sterbai - 3ish days old egg- moving at the end of the video

Here you can see 2 eggs stuck together. The egg on top has a healthy fry in it and the bottom one is unfertilised and has started to go bad. I noticed that the unfertilised egg is completely opaque under the microscope, but with the naked eye you can only see a small white spot in the middle of the egg.

image.jpeg.33c96da89c657cd578c92b4c9ce4a0bf.jpeg

And here is a newly hatched brine shrimp

image.jpeg.923d6d0caf9627584d0056b46e9bd795.jpeg

Look at his cute face! ❤️

image.jpeg.8fe03da12281e0215313379bc8458464.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

If anyone's looking to get into this stuff as a hobby/pastime/folly (ie buy their own device), I'd suggest starting with a dissecting microscope or stereo microscope. I'd stay away from the traditional lit-from-below, slide-mounted-subject compound microscope to start. Stereo scopes don't need the subject to be mounted on a slide, so you can view 3d subjects. They're lit from above via external lights, often on bendy-type arms, and they are more commonly available with binocular eyepieces. The don't get right into the cells in terms of magnification, but they absolutely bring the the micro into the macro, ie you see details you never would with the eye, or a camera. Typical magnification is 10x - 40x, so you won't get pics like the great ones posted above, but for id'ing aquarium/fish pests/diseases, and for capturing/photographing the myriad "what's this critter" critters, they're a big help. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2024 at 10:03 AM, Flavoi1 said:

@GoofyGarra Thanks 🙂 Snail eggs are defenetly on my list to look at and take some pictures to post, but although I have lots of snails I have a hard time finding some freshly laid eggs...

Here is my video, most of the interest is in the beginning and the end, we got distracted in between

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 1:35 PM, TOtrees said:

I'd suggest starting with a dissecting microscope or stereo microscope.

Good suggestion @TOtrees, but it depends on the use case.

Just to be absolutely clear, with a stereo microscope you can see things like this aphid on the underside of a leaf. (not my picture)

15982989135_cfabdc46a6_c.jpg.99da1c8b4bc5e6cfd2f9eaae2d591549.jpg

If you want to see things like the pictures I've taken, you have to use a "light from below" microscope.

Both are awesome and totally different worlds to explore.

Edited by Flavoi1
  • Like 1

@GoofyGarra I raise you a fry littraly hatched a few seconds before capturing this video (again posted on imgur because way too big of a file and gif ahs bad video quality).
It hatched on the slide during the split second I changed the magnification...

@Kunersbettas  @Maximus @TOtrees Have a look at this one too, you might like it!

Corydoras Sterbay fry - a few seconds old - pulsating heart and visible blood flow.
I love how you can see the blood flowing through the whole body, especially the finns and tail.

For size comparison, it is the little thing in the middle of the red ring.

image.jpeg.7b4fef7edab91ee3f8cdca749ee440f0.jpeg             image.thumb.jpeg.e4c7322f0f66179e0812605f7c5e7598.jpeg

• Love 2

On 6/4/2024 at 10:30 AM, Flavoi1 said:

@GoofyGarra I raise you a fry littraly hatched a few seconds before capturing this video (again posted on imgur because way too big of a file and gif ahs bad video quality).
It hatched on the slide during the split second I changed the magnification...

@Kunersbettas  @Maximus @TOtrees Have a look at this one too, you might like it!

Corydoras Sterbay fry - a few seconds old - pulsating heart and visible blood flow.
I love how you can see the blood flowing through the whole body, especially the finns and tail.

For size comparison, it is the little thing in the middle of the red ring.

image.jpeg.7b4fef7edab91ee3f8cdca749ee440f0.jpeg             image.thumb.jpeg.e4c7322f0f66179e0812605f7c5e7598.jpeg

Soooooooo tiny! I want to breed a fish once school starts up again. Species recommendations?