...neon...tetras...you know the rest

Allison Amaya

We got 20 neons from Petsmart about 4 weeks ago and I am down to ...6. It's one a day or every couple of days. I treated with the med trio when I got them. My water is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate, 6.8-7 pH, very hard water but with low kh right now. Working on getting some crushed coral in my filter to help with that. The tank is currently unheated and seems to get to about 74 at night and 76-78 during the day. Thought about adding salt but I have plants: plenty of jungle val and some crypts (and driftwood!). I have noticed that the ones who die have noticeably red gills before they die.... The other fish in this tank are a betta in a breeder box up top (waiting for his new tank setup to cycle), a young common pleco, and one baby platy who got moved over when I relocated the pleco and that's all. They all seem fine, no abnormal behavior or symptoms that I can see. I also haven't noticed the pleco interacting with them at all because I did wonder if he was being a bully but he's chill af. He came from a community tank with a billion platys and danios.

I got 16 neons from aquahuna in the mail about 2 weeks ago and they are in quarantine still, treated with the med trio, and I haven't lost a single one. I'm scared to move them into the tank with the remaining 6 even though in a livestream Cory said "do it." lol. Poor lil guys. I have thought about scooping them out, moving the 16 from AquaHuna to the big tank, putting the poor 6 in the QT tank, and treating with the trio again... but what if something in my big tank is the cause for the deaths and then I lose my other 16?! 😩

1 hour ago, Allison Amaya said:

... but what if something in my big tank is the cause for the deaths and then I lose my other 16?! 😩

Its probably not water parameters, or something in your big tank nor likely a specific 'disease'. It's just the stress on the neons of being moved from the distributor to the wholesaler to the retailer to you.

And it is the difference between the two retailers. The PetSmart neon's were likely moved through the supply chain rapidly and without a lot of TLC. The Aqua Huna neons were likely well acclimated and stabilized long before they were ever shipped to you. If there were loses in the process, Aqua Huna took those loses, and what you received are the rock solid survivor neons that will live for years.

Isn't it ironic that fish you buy at your local fish store and that only experience a brief ride home can be so much more fragile than fish purchased online and shipped to you?

I can't sing Aqua Huna's praises enough. Even though they are West Coast and I am East Coast, everything I have ever received from them has arrived in excellent health. Usually within minutes of being released from the shipping bag the fish are already eating and look bright and healthy.

It's not you, it the difference in how the fish were handled before you got them.

Edited by Daniel
contraction of it is and a missing article
  • Like 5

Thanks for your response! It's always a relief to know it's not me! 

I will definitely order from AquaHuna only in the future!! 

I just watched 1 more of the petsmart neons perish since my original post. I guess I can just let them... die off (or should I euthanize them?) and then introduce the Aquahuna fish into the big tank after that happens? Too bad Petsmart policy is you only have 14 days after purchase to get credit for any losses. Maybe if I go up there with my water sample, pics of the red-gilled fish,  and pics of my other tanks to prove I am not just a novice fish keeper, they'd be willing to vie me some store credit or something. All they can do is say no! 

Sometimes it's just a bad batch, and notice ultimately Cory is going add the ones that died off and the ones that did better all to the same big tank. He says there is some risk, but he is willing to take it.

Edited by Daniel
Added the sentence about risk
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...