My acara seems to have injured himself. Advice?

Here you can see the big scrape on his cheek and lots of little scrapes on his back. Genuinely baffled at what could be causing this since nothing like this has happened in the years I’ve had him. Any advice? Thoughts?

he’s acting and eating normally.

doesn’t look infected so unless it’s unwise I’m going to keep him in the 125 and prepare for a 40-50% water change tomorrow to keep it clean. 

IMG_0334.jpeg

On 5/31/2024 at 7:19 PM, Gannon said:

Here you can see the big scrape on his cheek and lots of little scrapes on his back. Genuinely baffled at what could be causing this since nothing like this has happened in the years I’ve had him. Any advice? Thoughts?

he’s acting and eating normally.

doesn’t look infected so unless it’s unwise I’m going to keep him in the 125 and prepare for a 40-50% water change tomorrow to keep it clean. 

IMG_0334.jpeg

Any tankmates?

Yes keep water in pristine condition. @Gannon

On 5/31/2024 at 6:25 PM, Tlindsey said:

Any tankmates?

Yes keep water in pristine condition. @Gannon

Tank males are 8 Denison barbs, 3 archerfish, and a green phantom pleco. Not once have I seen chasing or even nipping of any of the fish here. Only exception is the Denison barbs chased and nipped each other in the first month I had them years ago.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 7:27 PM, Gannon said:

Tank males are 8 Denison barbs, 3 archerfish, and a green phantom pleco. Not once have I seen chasing or even nipping of any of the fish here. Only exception is the Denison barbs chased and nipped each other in the first month I had them years ago.

Possibly scrape from a ornament.

On 5/31/2024 at 6:29 PM, Tlindsey said:

Possibly scrape from an ornament.

That’s my thoughts, given the straight lines of dotted marks on his back. Absolutely no clue what could’ve caused this and the tank hadn’t changed scapes once in its 3 years.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 6:51 PM, mynameisnobody said:

This happened to a few fish of mine over the years. The culprit: branchy driftwood and dragonstone. 

No dragon stone, just seiryu stone. And driftwood is all very blunt even at the ends 😕 

Just hard to tell what a culprit might be. And he had a minor set a scrapes a couple weeks ago these healed and now this. Strange considering before then there had been nothing like this.

I can see some small holes starting to develop above the eye that could indicate the start of hole in the head that can be caused by poor water quality dietary deficiency Hexamita parasite the most effective treatment is metronidazole that the active ingredient metroplex fritz metrocleanse in food feeding a small twice a day for to 3 weeks the one below the eye looks like an injury@Gannon

1000000024.png

• Like 2

On 6/1/2024 at 5:29 AM, Colu said:

I can see some small holes starting to develop above the eye that could indicate the start of hole in the head that can be caused by poor water quality dietary deficiency Hexamita parasite the most effective treatment is metronidazole that the active ingredient metroplex fritz metrocleanse in food feeding a small twice a day for to 3 weeks the one below the eye looks like an injury@Gannon

1000000024.png

Don’t worry! Not hole in the head! Those are pores all acaras have if you look up pictures of them!

On 6/1/2024 at 8:11 AM, Gannon said:

Don’t worry! Not hole in the head! Those are pores all acaras have if you look up pictures of them!

The spot on the top of the head, and the chin, too?  Because those do look suspicious for early hole in the head disease.  The face looks like pores to me, but the top of the head especially doesn’t look like pores.  Hole in the head can trigger them to rub and flash causing scratches.  Just something to consider.  Cichlids are much more prone to it than other species.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2024 at 1:52 PM, Odd Duck said:

The spot on the top of the head, and the chin, too?  Because those do look suspicious for early hole in the head disease.  The face looks like pores to me, but the top of the head especially doesn’t look like pores.  Hole in the head can trigger them to rub and flash causing scratches.  Just something to consider.  Cichlids are much more prone to it than other species.

I’m aware of this! But the same little scrape marks appeared a couple weeks ago like I might’ve mentioned earlier and they went away like you’d expect. So I don’t think there is any hole in the head disease. As a precaution I’ve also kept water quality as pristine as possible. So unless this is moving significantly slower than it normally does I’d be shocked if it was hole in the head disease.

You also might be able to see the marks form lines when connected, further suggesting scrapes.

I kinda wish I was wrong because that would be a very straightforward solution.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When the first scrapes happened I too believed it was hole in the head disease and it turned out to not be the case. At least from my understanding so far. Maybe I’m totally lost on this haha.

I was on a trip when those first things occurred so I couldn’t treat, I could only get updates from my roommate and the scrapes healed fairly quickly with no real influence. 

Edited by Gannon
  • Like 1

I do see the linear marks behind his head close to the top of his body.  I’m concerned about the whitish areas directly above his eye.  It’s completely possible this is deceptive in the picture and matching side to side.  If it’s the same on each side then pores makes sense, but the pores that are visible on his face (in front of his eye) don’t show any white like the spots on top of his head.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 2:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

I do see the linear marks behind his head close to the top of his body.  I’m concerned about the whitish areas directly above his eye.  It’s completely possible this is deceptive in the picture and matching side to side.  If it’s the same on each side then pores makes sense, but the pores that are visible on his face (in front of his eye) don’t show any white like the spots on top of his head.

The spots on the top of his head don’t have any depth or anything to them unlike the pores. Sorry for any confusion or miscommunication on my end on this. I’ll try to get some better pictures but he won’t stay still enough haha

• Like 1

Oh, and to clarify, the wound under his eye doesn’t look like hole in the head at all.  My worry is that very early hole in the head is triggering self-trauma when he’s rubbing / flashing.

On 6/1/2024 at 2:09 PM, Gannon said:

The spots on the top of his head don’t have any depth or anything to them unlike the pores. Sorry for any confusion or miscommunication on my end on this. I’ll try to get some better pictures but he won’t stay still enough haha

Always hard to get good pics of fish.  Your pic is good enough I can see the spots fairly well, but that’s never as good as in person.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 2:10 PM, Odd Duck said:

Oh, and to clarify, the wound under his eye doesn’t look like hole in the head at all.  My worry is that very early hole in the head is triggering self-trauma when he’s rubbing / flashing.

Always hard to get good pics of fish.  Your pic is good enough I can see the spots fairly well, but that’s never as good as in person.

I’ve seen pictures of acaras with pores right next to their eyes like I think you’re mentioning unless I’m not understanding right.

and what’s on his back at least to my judgement are certainly scrapes and not hole in the head.

there is definitely something to be said though about how he has abruptly started having issues with scrapes he never often had before. Especially nothing as severe as what is on his cheek.

i really hope it heals okay. This guy is very important to me. 

This picture is very similar but maybe it’ll help?

IMG_0331.jpeg

Yes, that helps!  Tilted toward us just enough those white spots do look more like scars / healing scrapes.  Whew!  I would keep up with pristine water and light salt and monitor.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 2:37 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, that helps!  Tilted toward us just enough those white spots do look more like scars / healing scrapes.  Whew!  I would keep up with pristine water and light salt and monitor.

I’ll see if I can source some salt tonight, i seem to have misplaced my old stuff it’s been years since I used it.

but hopefully a little food, time, and clean water corrects course and this doesn’t happen again. 

considering removing my big bubbler since it’s the only thing in there to my knowledge with a rough surface but I’m sure my circulation will suffer a bit. 

Edited by Gannon
  • Like 1