I just cycled a new tank, it's 20 gallons and planted. The plants are starting to grow in and algae is everywhere. However, ever since I added some driftwood to finish the scape, the pH has been super low, like 6 or below. It's bright yellow on the strip and doesn't even register as one of the colors provided. I tried boiling the wood for several hours to release tannins, but when I returned the wood to the tank, the pH dropped again. Normal pH from tap is more in the range of 6.5-7.

So far, the stocking is "pest" snails that are breeding and doing well, and 4 amano shrimp I added 2 weeks ago that seem to be fine as well. I added 3 nerite snails 2 weeks ago also, and unfortunately two of them have already died and the third one has not been doing well, just stays put most of the time. Even with a low pH, I wouldn't expect a nerite to die that quickly. 

Ammonia and nitrites are zero, it has been cycling for more than 2 months now. GH is very high, at the max number, which is what my tap reads. 

Here's what I really want to know: What do I need to do to add neocaridina shrimp to the tank? I want to breed them. Is the pH too low? Will they just die? Would adding crushed coral fix the problem? Or should I remove the driftwood (since I don't know what else would cause the pH drop. The substrate is also inert gravel)?

What does your KH read? That’ll give you a better idea of what’s going on.

Second Tannic acid registers at a 6 pH and if there is any decomposition going on it can drop lower. But not to fear aquarium water will rarely drop below ~6.2. Unfortunately test strips get a little inaccurate outside of ideal ranges. A liquid tester would likely yield a more accurate result.

Lastly shrimp are pretty tolerant of pH ranges. They do need gh to help build a strong exoskeleton but are not as reliant on water parameters as say a snail is. Where acidic water with low kh can lead to weakened shells. Wondershell or crushed coral will help raise kh

• Like 2

Ahhh I knew I forgot to mention something! KH is also zero. 😕

On 5/30/2024 at 7:05 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

What does your KH read? That’ll give you a better idea of what’s going on.

Second Tannic acid registers at a 6 pH and if there is any decomposition going on it can drop lower. But not to fear aquarium water will rarely drop below ~6.2. Unfortunately test strips get a little inaccurate outside of ideal ranges. A liquid tester would likely yield a more accurate result.

Lastly shrimp are pretty tolerant of pH ranges. They do need gh to help build a strong exoskeleton but are not as reliant on water parameters as say a snail is. Where acidic water with low kh can lead to weakened shells. Wondershell or crushed coral will help raise kh

Ahhh I knew I forgot to mention something! KH is also zero. 😕

On 5/30/2024 at 8:43 PM, Yoshi said:

I was always told that Wondershell raised GH, but didn't really affect KH?

Wondershell is calcium carbonate with a few trace minerals thrown in. It works the same as crushed coral. But important note is that since @KatNor has high gh and low kh crushed coral and wondershell will be less effective and carbonate salts may be needed instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1