I want your opinion on Grow Bulbs

Posted (edited)

I was thinking of getting some grow bulbs on amazon and getting some adjustable gooseneck clip-on desk lamps for the back of my 20 gallon. The reason is because Ive noticed the light it came with flickers and isn't the best. I want yalls opinion on em before I spend money for them. 

And if these are not the best option what would be better? Im kinda short on money so cheaper solutions is key 

I currently Have 1 java fern and two Crypt Spiralis 

Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 4.34.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 4.34.09 PM.png

Edited by CoryWithAKatana

Posted (edited)

Heres a video by Dr Novak about lightning options for people on a budget. If it were me id head to Lowes/Homecheapo and try to save a buck. IMO "Grow Lights" charge extra because some marketing genius slapped the words "Grow Light" on the box..

Part 2

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

Well yes and no, it depends on the light. Some brands of "grow lights" are scams, some genuinely help grow plants better.

colar-temp_plants_dgrskelvin.jpg.aed2b0a6a0effdac6a3fa8760dc74513.jpgAquatic photosynthesis performs best at 5000+ degrees kelvin. Blue light is incredibly important for plant growth and health. Blue light stimulates chlorophyll, which helps healthy leaves and strong roots. Blue light also stimulates auxins (plant hormones), which help healthy growth and recovery. 

"Researchers at the University of Florida conducted a study where they grew lettuce seedlings under different light conditions, including blue light. They found that the lettuce seedlings grown under blue light had significantly larger and greener leaves compared to those grown under red or white light." (https://www.mars-hydro.com/info/post/the-ultimate-guide-to-spectrum-science-in-led-grow-lights) 

For most aquatic plants, red light isn't as important (but it truly depends on what you desire). Red light helps plants germinate [produce flowers and fertilize seeds], but it also helps plants produce antioxidants and healthy cellular properties.  

Basically, the branding doesn't matter, but those labeled "grow lights" are often LED lights with a color temperature of 5000-6000+ with some sections including red light. I use a grow light on my tank and it has worked extremely well, sending off Java fern runners even though I've had the plant for less than a month. That being said, I made sure my grow light I purchased had a temperature of at least 6000, and for best growth, I recommend the same 🙂 

If you wanna be cheap, I would say buy a light fixture like the one you're looking for and buy any ol lightbulb that has a light spectrum of 6000 K. Or, the brand of gro-light you have above works great for my houseplants. The bulb has a surprisingly long run time too. We bought ours like a year ago and it is on 8 hours a day everyday, still going strong. VERY bright though!!! 

Here is the light I use for my aquarium. I have it hanging about 12 inches above my tank. Again, I have had success, but there may be better options out there too!

https://www.amazon.com/BoostGro-Spectrum-Linkable-Daylight-Lighting/dp/B093R6NVYY?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=AGAOHLIE2IJAP 

• Love 1

a hygger off of amazon shouldnt set you back much, and they are decent lights for the money. they tend to have 5 different light levels vs a grow light which will be off or on. id leave the grow lights to people growing weed in their closets!🙈

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1