Getting dirt off Pothos roots

Posted (edited)

Hello my pothos friends -

I am new to your world. Thought I would try to stick a pothos stem into my aquarium and see what it does. My room is pretty much a dungeon and has as close to basement window well lighting as you can get (except it’s on the second floor🤦🏼‍♀️

But HEY, let’s give this a shot because WHY NOT?

Ive been carefully scrubbing the dirt off of this single pothos stem for a while and I’m just wondering if it looks safe enough to put in the tank. There isn’t much left on there, but I don’t know if a little bit of potting soil can cause issues in 10 gallons of water. 
Let me know your thoughts. Safe to out in? If not, any tips to help get the rest of the dirt off?IMG_2538.jpeg.c5e65bcecd54b4c67258b874a8edd1a6.jpeg

IMG_2539.jpeg.bbd66cf27ce1ca4652a524e9292299a8.jpeg

Edited by EricksonAquatics
holy typos
  • Love 1

Yes that is fine. 

Once this grows huge (I’m an optimist 😁) or in the future for long stems you can just cut a stem. Here is a video showing the correct way to cut for water propagating pothos. We have an advantage with tanks  just stick it in and forget it  

Those roots will most likely rot off since they are grown terrestrial.  Sometimes they don’t. The plant will then grow new roots adapted better to submerged growth. 

These are a few of my monsters that came from stem cuttings about the same size as your little guy. 

32A26318-B202-40EA-BA00-CD2C2459A688.jpeg

961BFBBB-BE1D-4963-836F-0A2468A6FFC5.jpeg

AE5F1549-D72F-4CB3-8E6B-ACB780D2A915.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Perfect! 

On 5/20/2024 at 4:40 AM, Guppysnail said:

Once this grows huge (I’m an optimist 😁)

I’ll take allllll the positivity! I’m going to sing to this thing and shower it in love and pray it grows as big as yours!😂

I’ve heard they’re pretty dang adaptable so let’s see where this thing goes!

• Love 1

On 5/19/2024 at 8:43 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Hello my pothos friends -

I am new to your world. Thought I would try to stick a pothos stem into my aquarium and see what it does. My room is pretty much a dungeon and has as close to basement window well lighting as you can get (except it’s on the second floor🤦🏼‍♀️

But HEY, let’s give this a shot because WHY NOT?

Ive been carefully scrubbing the dirt off of this single pothos stem for a while and I’m just wondering if it looks safe enough to put in the tank. There isn’t much left on there, but I don’t know if a little bit of potting soil can cause issues in 10 gallons of water. 
Let me know your thoughts. Safe to out in? If not, any tips to help get the rest of the dirt off?IMG_2538.jpeg.c5e65bcecd54b4c67258b874a8edd1a6.jpeg

IMG_2539.jpeg.bbd66cf27ce1ca4652a524e9292299a8.jpeg

Dirt won't hurt anything,  good luck.   It should grow just might be slow.

• Love 1